Jade money tree root health

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Shills
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples
Bonsai Age: 0

Jade money tree root health

Post by Shills »

Hi there,

Hoping anyone might have some advise for this situation. I have a jade money tree that has grown quite nicely with next to zero attention and this includes zero repotting or root pruning. regarding the medium condition, I have noticed that it feels like there is barely any soil in the pot -- it just feels woody when touched -- almost makes an audible 'knock'.

Now it seems fine but should I be concerned that this will go bad eventually and root prune? If so, any advise on how jade money trees respond to root pruning?

Photos below for some reference.

Thanks for any advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Jade money tree root health

Post by shibui »

Jade are among the most tolerant to root pruning. You can even root prune above the roots and be reasonably assured of 100% success planting the trunk with no roots. Any extra roots you want to leave it with will be a bonus. Point is don't worry about root pruning Jade plant. Take as much or as little as you like.
These also respond far better to any pruning or root work when it is warmer and they can recover quick.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shills
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Jade money tree root health

Post by Shills »

Thanks. I'll leave the tree alone then. No need to fix if it ain't broke.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”