Cold Room in the Subtropics.

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Kedron Brook
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku, Ficus, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Cold Room in the Subtropics.

Post by Kedron Brook »

Good evening fine gentlefolk,
I found myself with the economic and emotional motivation to try and grow cold temperate species in subtropical Brisbane. After my plant & bonsai collection grew to include plants which grow well up here near the Tropic of Capricorn, I still needed maples. And a ginkgo. And to smell a lilac. I acknowledge it's an uphill battle, so I did my research. The real experiment begins on Thursday, for the duration of June & July. Below are my aims & outline.

Great success is, if the plants can show off their Autumn colours, stay healthy throughout Winter and the future :hooray:
Expected success is, the plants will be healthy through the Winter into the next year. (It's commented that a healthy plant can pass through a warm Winter and grow, so that health is about 2 or more years on from the present moment.) :tu:
Failure is, everything dies and I cry :crybye:

As a home project, I've enjoyed this so far and after toying around, I expect success :tu2:

This conversation on BonsaiNut is rather informative. Further research is less productive. Eventually my post will appear on that site too.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/japan ... nts.43585/

Basically, cold Winter destroys some imaginary "stuff" which is in the leaf buds thereby invigorating the plant. More specifically; by reducing daylight length, defoliating and maintaining temperature for 'Chill Hours'. Ideal Chill Hours is 1000 hrs between 0-7c. However another model may be used, and there's one fellow in Sao Paolo who swears his maples thrive. So my experiment will use the other model, which is temperature between 0-12 is good and ought never rise higher than 17.

The aim is to control the temperature, without spending the whole fortune.

If we research how to build a wine cellar or a florist's fridge, we find pre-existing home projects which achieve a similar aim. We also find a eksy price tag for the good stuff. In essence, buy insulation material then insulate an area. Next cool it with an expensive refridgeration unit.

Rather than that unit, I chose a chest freezer and gel-packs which can freeze down as low as the freezer goes. I bought XPS insulation and supplement it with cardboard. Inside a 2m square grow tent I laid out the XPS panels and made a base. It's not great, and the remaining tent walls are being lined with cardboard from work. I built a second chamber inside, and that is much smaller and it's more effective. A thermometer records data onto a table, then transmits via BlueTooth. It shows that humidity is typically 60-75%. This is bothersome, as 40-60% seems preferred from online research. The garage is 2-5 degrees warmer than reports from the Elders Weather website about my suburb. The chamber often rises to garage temperature, and is held at lows for about 6 hours. No success reaching 7 degrees in the larger chamber, main range so far is 13-20c. The smaller chamber's range is 8-15c.

My collection includes three large pot plants, and assorted smaller plants. As the large plants wouldn't fit in a little box, I was pre-committed to a large production. I've completed 80% of the outlined construction above and held the plants inside for most of this month. So far the Ginkgo went yellow, the Emperor went red, Osakazuki went orange, and the Shindeshojo is totally green and defiant. The smaller plants, most maples and a mail order lilac which arrived leafless, are leafless. Everything will be defoliated on the 1st of June.

In my yard, the Liquidambar is green. Which bugs me, as it is supposed to be more reliable for producing red leaves in warmer winters. A maple I bought from the South side of the river (probably Acer Serrulatum) only produced a few red leaves before the leaves were eaten by something. Point is leaving the plants in the yard did not produce nice Autumn colours.

Photos and further details will come later. When the time finds me, I will write-up a recommended plan and budget for a single smaller cool chest.
I will post the daily routine. I will post the estimated chill-hours at the end of Winter and visual health of the new buds. Hopefully, next year I'll re-post here with more info :wave:
I'd rather be a tree,
where it's cool & sunny,
than stuck in traffic,
going batshit,
it's the green life for me.
Dean.C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Decidous

Re: Cold Room in the Subtropics.

Post by Dean.C »

I have heard of people trying and failing at this before , but good luck in your experiments anyway !
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I have no experience with this and no idea if you’ll be successful but I do love a good project and respect the endeavour!
Good luck with it all.
:beer:
Kedron Brook
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kedron Brook »

Alright the first 2 month experiment is ended. The plants are in the yard. My initial thoughts are as follows; :reading:

The smaller chamber was much easier to maintain. The larger chamber was not. Thinking of improvements to the set-up after setting up reduced my enthusiasm for the maintenance routine. I didn't need to wake up earlier to cycle the cold packs, I do need more space in my garage, the outside temperature never really entered the garage. Improve accessibility to improve watering, and pest monitoring. Arrest the desire for big feature plants, because keeping bonsai sized maples will be much easier.

Colouring.
At two weeks in the coldroom, the Ginkgo coloured up very well. The Osakazuki and the Emperor coloured well, the Shindeshojo did not. The 2 small standard JM's, bought locally, made a basic effort at colour. The tridents did not colour. At this point the leaves were all cut (2nd week of June). Perhaps they would've coloured later on.

Leafing Out.
One of the trident maples is already leafing out (1st week of August), the other two are showing a little green edges on the buds. The ginkgo also shows some green edges. The other plants seem dormant. Without much experience with Japanese maples it is difficult for me to rate their health. What's more, is the experiment needs more time, and the method is already a little newer & improved. Some maples seem too dry to be in good health. They were irregularly watered during the coldroom period.

Small Chamber.
The small chamber was between 6-12c. The EngBird app which comes with the Bluetooth thermometer states the main temperature range was 6-9c. Humidity, 60-80%. There was always enough dry ice packs to cool the small chamber. Humidity was typically between 60-80% in both chambers. Dehumidifiers were changed after one month, but no significant difference was recorded with old / new dehumidifier packs. It was awkward to reach deep into the small chamber.

Large Chamber.
The large chamber's temperature varied more, 9-21c. The EngBird app which comes with the Bluetooth thermometer states the main temperature range was 14-18. Humidity as above, 60-80%. Dehumidifiers, although visibly collecting moisture, made no recorded difference. There were not always enough dry ice packs to cool the large chamber. Insulating the large chamber was done at the beginning, then improved during the process.

Temperature.
The smaller chamber succeeded in remaining beneath 12c. In accord with these criteria (x<12c, x<17c), the small chamber was a double success. The smaller chamber improved performance after some tweaks. The larger chamber failed to remain beneath 17c. The large chamber was improved but failed. Honestly, the large chamber only improved on the courtyard by lower peak high. The courtyard reached lower the peak cold.

Pests / Problems.
A pest spray treatment was made after one month (end of June). There were some scale on 2 of the large JMs. This scale was found again this weekend, when moving the collection out into the yard. Not severe, not on all the maples. Scale found on on the Osakazuki, Emperor and one small maple. None the trident's or ginkgo.
I'd rather be a tree,
where it's cool & sunny,
than stuck in traffic,
going batshit,
Kedron Brook
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kedron Brook »

One of the plain JMs leafed out beautifully and quickly. Possums ate all the new shoots, & / knocked over this maple and 2 others. They are dead.

Of the larger maples. 2 are not showing swelling buds; Emperor, Osakazuki. The Shindeshojo is pushing leaves out, but only close to the main trunk. Branches on all of them pass a scratch test. One assumes the branch buds remaining closed on the Shindeshojo is a sign of ill health and lack of winter dormancy.

The Trident Maples are doing fine. To be honest, I am sure it's not required to refridgerate them. I think I will exclude them from future trials, until I have a better sense of maple horticulture. Then observe the vigour with & without the cold-room.

Some plants show discoloured branches. I reckon it's from plant specific fungus / mold in the air of the cold room. There is none growing on the walls or floor of the cold room.
I'd rather be a tree,
where it's cool & sunny,
than stuck in traffic,
going batshit,
Brisliam
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brisliam »

Based on your user name, I assume you live pretty close to me.
I've considered or mused about doing something similar to your experiment. It will be exciting to see next year's results. Thanks for sharing!!
bubba92
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by bubba92 »

Hey, have you got any pictures of the setup? So did you build something from scratch, or did you buy a grow tent? I see a company called AC infinity makes ready to use grow tents, and they very well made, although fairly expensive and small if you were wanting to 'chill' more than a few trees.

Cheers :)

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”