Plum help.

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Plum help.

Post by KIRKY »

Need some help guys n gals, suggestions for one of my plums. For some reason I lost a bottom side branch a couple of years ago I have allowed a new shoot to extend for a replacement. This season I have lost the bottom back branch. The tree Is producing new shoots along the trunk line however as expected not where I want them. In order to replace the two lost branches looking for the best choice of treatment. Should I try a thread graft? Approach graft? Or a bud graft? Has anyone tried any of these methods? If so which method was the best? what success rate if any were you able to achieve? Also when is the best time to try any replacement grafting?
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Plum help.

Post by shibui »

I have not tried all 3 options for bonsai but have done them all in different applications so offer some thoughts:

Bud graft is easy BUT the buds do not always sprout and grow while the upper part of the tree is strong. With fruit tree budding, after the new bud has healed the top of the stock is cut to allow the new bud to activate. There are other possible strategies to get dormant buds to grow that may work and there's always the possibility a newly grafted bud might self activate.

Thread graft gives the opportunity to get an ideal branch angle by drilling through at the ideal spot and the ideal angle. Thread grafts are reasonably reliable but by no means infallible. I've occasionally had some graft on the entry side but the exit side (which is the one we want) dies off. No doubt improper technique but it can happen. Thread grafts grow and unite best when the grafted shoot comes from below. Sap doesn't flow well 'downhill' so taking a shoot from the apex and bringing it down to graft a lower branch may not grow as well as expected.

Approach graft also suffers from downhill sap flow problem but will not have the issue of entry and exit grafting. If it unites it will grow an new branch.
Approach graft gives a branch at an odd angle to the trunk no matter which direction the graft is made. In time it can be corrected but years and thickening required to make it look anything other than approach graft unless you require an ascending branch or new trunk.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

KIRKY wrote: August 30th, 2023, 12:05 pm Need some help guys n gals, suggestions for one of my plums. For some reason I lost a bottom side branch a couple of years ago I have allowed a new shoot to extend for a replacement. This season I have lost the bottom back branch. The tree Is producing new shoots along the trunk line however as expected not where I want them. In order to replace the two lost branches looking for the best choice of treatment. Should I try a thread graft? Approach graft? Or a bud graft? Has anyone tried any of these methods? If so which method was the best? what success rate if any were you able to achieve? Also when is the best time to try any replacement grafting?
Cheers
Kirky
Give us a look at the tree Susan. Grafting is a last resort. There might be an easier fix.
Mike
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Thanks Mike, email sent :fc:
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Thanks for your reply Neil a lot to digest, grafting is not something I have tried yet ;)
Cheers
Kirky
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

I have tried thread grafting my plum with no success. That is not however to say that it won’t work. What worked for me was to let some of the branches run wild which then encouraged budding at all sorts of areas along the trunk which I have used.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Thanks everyone I think the general consensus is grafting may not be a good option. So will need to feed, feed and feed for more got lots of shoots and the look to restyle down the track having more growth to choose from.
Thank you all.
Cheers
Kirky

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”