How to get my olive to fruit??

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: peppercorn
Bonsai Age: 20

How to get my olive to fruit??

Post by Marc »

Hi all, i've had this olive now for about 11 years myself. I bought it from a guy in Euroa, a country town in Vic. I have repotted it a few times since then, my guess is is about 25-30 years old. The trunk at the base is about 4 inches accross. Height about 30cm from top of soil.

It has never fruited for me, i always presumed I was pinching back too regularly. But the last 2 years or so I stopped trimming/pinching back as much, trying to let it grow a little, thinking maybe it might not like that, and then get happier/healthier and fruit, but still no.

How can I get it to fruit please???? Every year I see all the olives on the streets flowering then fruting so much, it depresses me, what am I doign wrong?? I feed, periodically, i guess not too often, as mentioned in another thread, however it seems healthy. It was last repotted about 2 years ago too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Re: How to get my olive to fruit??

Post by Asus101 »

Not all olives will fruit.

I have heard different reasons, from its cos its in a pot, to not enough potash ect ect, but I personally think you don't want it to fruit. You want to refine it, get the leaves as small as possible.
I have never seen one here or in Europe fruit. From reading, the only tree's you want fruit on is crab apples, quinces, illex, hawthorn, pomygranat, persimmon's and a few other deciduous species (pines and larches, but that is the pinnical of care!). I am yet to find an evergreen beside pines displayed in Japan with fruit.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by ozzy »

I've got an olive with olives on it, I think the only reason it has olives on it though is because it has one metre long sacrifice branches and they're on the end.
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: peppercorn

Post by Marc »

but i want it toooooo........

it would be sooooo awesome !!!!!!!

:)

Anyways, I love the tree, so will just wait and see I guess...
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

You would like fruit even if it takes away refinement?
Young and hostile but not stupid.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

You wont get any fruit whilst trying to produce a bonsai from it. One or the other, bonsai requires constant pruning whilst allowing to fruit requires uninhibated growth.
Peter
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

It's going to be nice. I have a number of old collected olives and none have ever shown signs of developing fruit. I think, unless you have a large olive bonsai, that you don't try this. At the stage your tree appears, it is time to start styling before the wood sets like olive-concrete. I have found that olive branches are very varied in their onset of hardness when it becomes difficult to shape them. One I have long had I can only shape young branches. Others I can wait till later... if I were you I would start wiring.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”