Sick JBP

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Sick JBP

Post by PeterH »

Hi

I have just been working one of my JBP and have noticed this years needles are coming out easily and leaving
the sheaths.

I suspect a Fungal disease.

Could anybody shed some light on this and the fix.

Thanks Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Sick JBP

Post by PeterW »

Whats its story Pete? Water, feed, sunlight etc. Have you just cut candles and thinned?
Peter
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterH »

Hi Peter,

It lives outside in sun from 1100 hrs to 1600 . Watered twice a day 0600 and 1500. Osmicote

After candles and doing a thin out.

I have others without this problem in sun from sun up to 1700.

Peter
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Post it on Bt....or BN if BT isnt up yet and see if they can assist. I dont like the sound of its symptoms, the easy to pull needles etc.
Peter
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

I wonder could it be a defiancy in something? Can you lift it out of the pot and just check that there is Mychroiza (Ahh you no what i mean...) present. What is it growing in?
Peter
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

PeterW wrote:I wonder could it be a defiancy in something? Can you lift it out of the pot and just check that there is Mychroiza (Ahh you no what i mean...) present.

thats a very good idea. If the roots are healthy there should be a good amount there, if they are sick....
Young and hostile but not stupid.
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterH »

Hi thanks for the feed back

Ive been doing some checking on the web and I suspect it is a fungis called needle cast which affects 2 needle pines.

I will treat it and my other pines with a copper based Fungicide and hope this fixes the problem.

Peter
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

PeterH wrote:Hi thanks for the feed back

Ive been doing some checking on the web and I suspect it is a fungis called needle cast which affects 2 needle pines.

I will treat it and my other pines with a copper based Fungicide and hope this fixes the problem.

Peter
That sounds right Peter. Let us know how you go with it. If you have the time, this subject would make for a good piece to have on record here. Do you know what causes needle cast?
Good Luck
Peter
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterH »

Hi Peter

This is one of the sites I looked at
http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/dise ... cordID=852
This is an extract

Pine -- Lophodermium Needle Cast

Cause: Lophodermium sp. Nineteen species, mostly host-specific, occur in the Pacific Northwest. L. seditiosum is a problem on Scots (Scotch) pine, infecting current-season needles which may be killed by the next season. Wet weather and poor air circulation, which keep foliage wet, favor disease development. These fungi are variable enough that some viable fruit bodies are available for a low level of spore production all year long. L. pinastri and other species cause casting of 2- and 3-year-old Scots pine needles. L. baculiferum on ponderosa pine and L. nitens on white pine are commonly found in the forest and sometimes on ornamentals.
Symptoms: On Scots pine, L. seditiosum forms yellow spots on infected needles. These may coalesce and become reddish brown by April. Soon the entire needle becomes reddish brown and usually is cast, lodging in remaining foliage or on the ground. The blackish, football-shaped fruiting bodies (hysterothecia, a type of apothecium) mature in late summer and disperse spores that invade the most recent foliage when autumn rains begin. The disease may stunt or kill seedlings or transplants.
L. baculiferum and L. nitens yellow foliage in mid- or late summer. Yellowed needles subsequently drop. The fungus fruits in dead foliage after casting or while still on the tree. The hysterothecia are football shaped and black. When mature, they split down the middle to expose the spore layer. In favorably wet conditions, these fungi may cause widespread and noticeable symptoms on forest trees. They also are reported to damage forest nursery seedlings.

Peter
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Jon Chown »

PeterH, what chemical do you intend using? Mancozeb plus perhaps?

Jon
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Thanks Peter, i will put that one in my notes on Pines!
Peter
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterH »

Jon

I am using a copper based fungicide Yates-Fungus Fighter-cupric Hydroxide.

If there is one that you recommend please let me know.

Peter

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”