Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Brachychiton acerifolius rooting issue

Post by Elmer »

I picked up this small brachy in a trade early last year and repotted when it was bare last November cutting the ugly long root short. Since then it has not grown any new roots or leaves, as you can see it is still green and the lower trunk solid with no rot evident.
brach.jpg
Is there anything I can do to encourage it back into growth top and bottom?

Thanks in advance,
Elmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Brachychiton acerifolius rooting issue

Post by dansai »

When you say last November, do you mean a year ago? If so that seems strange that it hasn't shot. My experience is that they are very hardy tree.

Also your potting mix looks very wet. Had you just watered it? Is it in a good free draining mix? Have you fertilised with anything?
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Post by Elmer »

Yes, repotted November 2019 using commercial cacti potting mix with extra river sand, had just received a torrential downpour before I took the pic I normally wait until it is almost bone dry before watering as I have been worried about rot while there are no roots or growth.
My teacher and the local native nursery also thought it very strange but could not provide any suggestions as to how to break this 'dormancy'.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Have you taken it out of the pot to confirm there is not new roots? I have quite a few Brachychitons and they don't produce a large amount of roots but main ones seem to thicken quite a bit.

The only thing I could say is that they are a deciduous, although not like Northern Hemisphere trees that drop leaves in autumn and grow again in spring. Rather in their natural environment they drop leaves during dry periods which often corresponds to winter and early spring in their habitat.

A quote from Wiki
Similarly to its kurrajong relatives the leaves are variable, with up to 7 deep lobes. It is deciduous - shedding its leaves after the dry season. The spectacular flowering occurs in late spring and new foliage is ready for the summer rains. In areas where the winter is not particularly dry, this natural rhythm may become somewhat erratic and the tree may flower only partially.
So maybe water a little more allowing it to stay moist. Maybe some seasol too.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Brachychiton”