Illawarra Flame tree

Acerifolius, Populneus, Rupestris etc
LeonR
Favorite Species: llove em all
Bonsai Age: 10

Illawarra Flame tree

Post by LeonR »

have recently beeen given this tree, grown from a seedling, can I bonsai it, what is the process and when should I do it.

Leon
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 33
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Illawarra Flame tree

Post by shibui »

There are quite a few threads dealing with Illawarra flame tree already on Ausbonsai. The search button top right will help you find them.

There are quite a few growers using various Brachychiton species, including acerifolius, as bonsai. They all seem to tolerate root pruning in warmer weather so now would be a good time. All the species I know of sprout new shoots pretty well after pruning, even when cut back to bare wood.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Milo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: banksia, Casuarina, Melaleuca, Euc
Bonsai Age: 20

Re: Illawarra Flame tree

Post by Milo »

Hi Leon.

Sorry about the slow response . watering, wire on, wire off, and pruning , you know how it is.

Not sure how big your tree is. but if it is still small wire and put some shape into it . Keep in shade with wire on and remove and rewire weekly till it holds shape.

Flame trees are semi Deciduous ( Brachychiton acerifolius ) and can be leaf pruned 2 to 3 times a year to reduce leaf size, if not you can have leaf size as big as your hand.
Dec 2016.jpg
Oct 2017.jpg
The leaves are only replaced at the end of each branch and branches need to be finger thick before cutting back to induce ramification.

All branch cuts need to be sealed

Best of Luck

Milo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Brachychiton”