Tony H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata Pine
Bonsai Age: 25

Black cypress

Post by Tony H »

Another rainy day on annual leave....

I have about 30 black pines that I've collected from our property 12 months ago so with nothing to do I thought I would do a formal upright, styled after the huge old araucaria heterophylla that stand on the cliffs around Kiama harbour.

I'm thinking of doing 7 or 9 of these in this style for a group planting :)

I may have to collect another 20 or so ( we have thousands of them in all sizes ) and start experimenting!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Your karma ran over my dogma
Tony H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Black cypress

Post by Tony H »

After looking at it for a while I'm thinking of jining out the crown.... Thoughts :?:
AGarcia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougie, Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by AGarcia »

nothing wrong with a living crown. Have a think about the future callitris forest you mentioned recreating. DO they have these? Do you have a pic of the forest or trees you want to re-ceate? I would love to see it.

AG
Tony H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tony H »

image.jpg
image.jpg
Here's a couple, and the only ones I've seen with dead crowns have obviously been hit by lightning
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

Just my :2c: but I prefer living crowns. When I first started bonsai I loved the lightning struck image, but I see it done so much, it now feels a little like a cop out. It seems like it's harder to find a good tree to make into a formal upright that has the correct size and taper without going for the dead crown, and that makes the live ones feel special to me. If you've got one that works, and i think yours does, I would leave it alive. :yes:
Last edited by lackhand on June 26th, 2013, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Karl
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Have you thought of airlayering a nice thick branch with lots of movement?
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Tony H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tony H »

Not really, the main reason being is that these trees grow straight up and the branches follow suit. That's the main reason I went formal upright :)

I have access to so many of them so I'm thinking of doing a few stand alone formal uprights and do a bunch and make a large forest group. I have dug a 6 footer with a pretty thick trunk. I'm going to knock that one down to under 3 feet, Jin the top out and split the trunk :o like a lightning strike has blown it apart :tu2:
Biofusion
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Black cypress

Post by Biofusion »

What's the scientific name if these trees?
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Probably it is one of those trees. But I am sure you can do it. I have one also wants to grow straight only...might be the same as yours...I have gone with formal upright with it too.
But FU is a nice style...so I wish you all the best!
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Club: IBS

Post by DavidWilloughby »

ViBeS wrote:
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here's a couple, and the only ones I've seen with dead crowns have obviously been hit by lightning
Hi Tony,

I might be clutching at straws here but those photo's you recently posted look more like Norfolk Island Pines Araucaria heterophylla to me and appear different to your collected tree mate. Perhaps someone else who can ID the photo's correctly could assist, but they don't appear to be Callitris.

I like what you have done with your tree, perhaps a forest is something to think about with access to such material. The skies the limit with possibilities.

Cheers

David

EDITED: typo's
Last edited by DavidWilloughby on June 26th, 2013, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tony H »

Yeah they are heterophylla's mate, they were just the inspiration for the style :)
Tony H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tony H »

The one in the pic is a bit of an experiment so see how harsh they can stand it. It was dug, styled, root reduced and replanted in a day. I've pulled them out of the ground before ( growing in the paddock ) and tossed them aside. Only to find a month later that they had rooted laying down and started growing again. I've run them over turning around near the front gate and snapped the trunks off down low, they are powering along! Needless to say I'm now giving those ones a bit of fert :whistle:

Return to “Callitris”