White cypress pine ( callitris glucaphylla) aus native

Glaucophylla, Rhomboidea etc
angelozoras
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

White cypress pine ( callitris glucaphylla) aus native

Post by angelozoras »

Asking for help to identify the issue with my white cypress pine on lower branches the small leaves are turning a darker green and some parts a tinge of brown some of the tips a nice green with little yellow creamy balls ? Has been repotted recently . Stressed?Image
The greener is the top of the tree
Do I remove the seed pods also ?
Help needed
angelozoras
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: White cypress pine ( callitris glucaphylla) aus native

Post by angelozoras »

angelozoras wrote:Asking for help to identify the issue with my white cypress pine on lower branches the small leaves are turning a darker green and some parts a tinge of brown some of the tips a nice green with little yellow creamy balls ? Has been repotted recently . Stressed?Image
Help needed
angelozoras wrote:Asking for help to identify the issue with my white cypress pine on lower branches the small leaves are turning a darker green and some parts a tinge of brown some of the tips a nice green with little yellow creamy balls ? Has been repotted recently . Stressed?Image
Help needed
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MoGanic »

Hi mate,

Could be any number of things. Are you able to provide some additional information? Things like, where is it being kept, is it windy/sunny/frosty where you're keeping it? During the recent re-pot how much of the root mass did you remove? Any thick roots cut off at that time? Fertilising regime?

Perhaps even take a look at the branch itself (if it's only one branch), as there may be some damage to it. Often tree's with a single branch that has been damaged will simply discard the branch.

Has the foliage on the branch only discolored or is it dropping as well?

Cheers,
Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
angelozoras
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by angelozoras »

Kept :- north facing courtyard can get some sun and full . Also can get windy
No frost yet cold nights starting but have kept it in these conditions previous
Root pruning believe I had to cut thicker roots to be able to place it in the pot I think about half root prune ( max) have not fertilised yet have been told to wait it's potted in a native and bonsai soil mix multiple branches with this issue foliage is not dropping feeling a little more 'crunchy' than the greener top only watering when soil gets dry helpful?
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MoGanic »

angelozoras wrote:Kept :- north facing courtyard can get some sun and full . Also can get windy
No frost yet cold nights starting but have kept it in these conditions previous
Root pruning believe I had to cut thicker roots to be able to place it in the pot I think about half root prune ( max) have not fertilised yet have been told to wait it's potted in a native and bonsai soil mix multiple branches with this issue foliage is not dropping feeling a little more 'crunchy' than the greener top only watering when soil gets dry helpful?
Mate the only thing I can think of, is that roots that were previously supplying these branches may have died after the prune.

Check if you can tell whether they're all attached/coming off the same live vein.

Hopefully someone can chime in with some more info, but generally not the best practice to cut thick roots to fit in a pot when your dealing with conifers.

If it is the roots that have died, then you're definitely going to lose any branches relying on those roots. Good news is it wont kill your whole tree and may mean the tree takes on a new design.

Cheers,
Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MoGanic »

Just noticed the yellow stuff at the tips of the unhealthy branches, could you get a more focused pic of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
angelozoras
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by angelozoras »

Hopefully it's just those branches I have gentle torn off some of the foliage and it's still green on the inside ill keep the bigger roots next time [WHITE SMILING FACE]might just let it be for the moment and see how it goes on
angelozoras
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by angelozoras »

I'll take a visit to the bonsai nursery and see what there cypress pines look like
angelozoras
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by angelozoras »

angelozoras
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by angelozoras »

Some are closed and some are open and opening like a larger pine cone ?
time8theuniverse
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by time8theuniverse »

It seems like the growths on the end of the branches would be the fruiting bodies. Which could be happening in response to stress from the root work. I would pluck them of to keep the energy for plant growth.

The brown branches look like dead branches and would explain why they were crunchy. The branches that are brown may have been bruised when you were repotting that caused them to die off. I don't know if the root pruned would cause die back like the photo.

I have 2 white cypress and I have noticed they bruise easily but I have done a heavy root prune yet. I would take the fruits off, give it some seaweed tonic (no furtiliser) and then leave it to recover.
Patience is often a surprise.
angelozoras
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by angelozoras »

I'll pluck off the yellow cones/fruit ill give it a seaweed tonic let it rest and see what happens . The bigger cones that are woody should they go also thanks for the reply
time8theuniverse
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by time8theuniverse »

I would leave the bigger fruit I can see in the photo because it isn't using much energy from trees growth and you might do more damage getting them off.
Last edited by time8theuniverse on May 30th, 2015, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patience is often a surprise.
angelozoras
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by angelozoras »

Ok thanks for your help time8 and moganic

Return to “Callitris”