Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Re: Callitris glaucophylla

Post by Ron »

Thanks, Kunzea.

Just did a round of the local nurseries (not bonsai ones) and they said they are very hard to find as nursery plants. Also in some areas of Australia they're classed the same as Radiata pine (ie weeds).

But I'm fascinated by the Canberra pic above and am going to keep looking.

Ron.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Does anyone know the best time to collect seed?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Bretts wrote:Does anyone know the best time to collect seed?
Possibly now.

When you are passing by a tree and there are cones and they look ripe. They will often jump off the tree and into your hand or pocket. They germinate easily.

Once again give it a go.

Grant
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thanks Grant.
I was just talking to Pol and this was on the list of discussion. Apparently we also have Callitris endlicheri or Black Cypress Pine out here in the Central West. Not sure how to differentiate between the two but as the C. endlicheri is usually found on relatively shallow stony soils, often on steep slopes. We are thinking it might be easier to collect?

Not sure if it was mentioned but Pol told me these germinate very easily from seed. I will try to collect some and share it around :)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Kunzea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Too many!
Bonsai Age: 47

Post by Kunzea »

Hi Brett
the two species are a bit difficult to distinguish, and they hybridise in parts of your part of the wide brown land.

At its best, the black cypress pine has a rough feeling green stem; the leaves are a bit courser and there is often an angular quality to the green branhes. The leaves are also usually a clear, bright green and have a prominent ridge down the back (part of what gives the branchlet a rough feel) The green stems are triangular in cross section. The white one on the other hand classically has fine foliage that is bluish. The 'green' branchlets are soft to the touch by comparison with the black cypress pine. The leaves have small grooves, rather than a ridge and the green stems are circular in cross section. The cones are a bit different too:

In my experience, the black one retains its torch-like outline well into old aged trees. Its branches usually come out from the trunk (oten close to the horizontal) and then bend upwards, giving the torchlike shape, whereas the white c pine becomes quite various in its outline as it ages. It often will then have quite a long clear trunk before branches are retained. It can have branches that hang down for many metres, even when they are 500 mm across, that eventually turn back up making a fabulous 'u' shaped branch line! Old black c pines also have very coarse, thick cracked bark, while the white c pine is also coarse and cracking, it doesn't see to get quite so thick where I have seen them.

The cones differ in small characters: black c pine: cone scales with a distinct protruberance on the back or apex, and they are not warty; in white cp the cone scales do not have a prominent point, though a small one may be present (you clearly need to see a few different ones before you can readily tell what is 'prominent'. The scales are never warty.

Sorry that this is a bit technical in places, but it can be difficult to distinguish in some cases. I don't think that the overlap zone goes as far north as Young, but I would have to check on that.

Hope some of that helps.
Cheers
Kunzea
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thank you for the in depth descriptions Kunzea I could not have hoped for better. I plan on taking the kids for a small bush walk today to check them out and see if I can find both species.
When you talk of the ridges on the leaves I wonder if you are talking about using a magnifying glass?
Thanks again for your help :)
Kunzea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kunzea »

Brett
The 'ridges' can be seen with reasonable eyes, though they are small. If you have a handlens, so much the better.
K
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

A bit embarrassed today Kunzea. Heading out today to some of these trees I was thinking about what you said and all of a sudden realised I was getting confused by thinking about she oak when reading your description :oops: That is why I was thinking about a magnifying glass to look at the leaves ;)
Any way I have some seeds and plenty of pictures.
nat.jpg
This is what you come accross just out of town
nat1.jpg
nat2.jpg
nat3.jpg
Although most are Forrest straight there is the occasional trunk with movement. But they are few and far between.
nat4.jpg
nat5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on March 26th, 2010, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

This is the tree that I took most of the seeds from. Although it was higher up on the hill I think they where all teh same species here.
nat6h.jpg
Most of the trees around this area are not that big. You tend to see the better specimens like Grants pictures when you head out on the highway. But there is a few here that are starting to mature.
nat7b.jpg
nat8b.jpg
The bark is not bad when they mature
nat10.jpg
nat11.jpg
I will add some close up pictures of the foliage and seeds later to help with ID but my guess these are the White Cypress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kunzea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kunzea »

Hi Brett
Thanks for the photos. Lovely trees. I don't mind the straight trunks, though many people want to force s-bends into them for some strange reason! there is great beauty in adapting one's bonsai to the natural shape of these trees, rather than the other way around. Relax and go with the flow of nature.

You are probably right in thinking they may be white cypress: bark, branching, colour.

Cheers
K
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Hi Kunzea,
That is interesting. Although I was thinking about some of the amazing upright forms I have seen this tree in, I believe I was forgetting about that in bonsai culture.
The most amazing forms I have found for this tree is the tall tree with many branches that have died lower on the tree.
I will try to get some pictures of this.
I will also keep looking for the Black cedar ;)

Anyone that wants some seed let me know ;)
Last edited by Bretts on March 26th, 2010, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

When I was out today looking for olives I took a couple of pictures of the few Callitris that had some movement.
cal1.jpg
This same tree from a different Angle shows a branch that I would like to try and air layer off. The motor cross kids use this area alot so I am not sure it would survive them. Maybe if I put a note on it hat it is a horticultural experiment they might be nice enough to leave it alone :?
cal2.jpg
What chances are there of getting this one out?
cal3.jpg
I will be trying this one this year. It is the most interesting smaller size and on a pile of grated dirt. Should be able to get down to the roots easy but I would think it will be bare rooted.
cal4.jpg
Kunzea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kunzea »

Hi Brett
Interesting tree trunk indeed.
Chances of digging it out: from my experience if the soil is sandy then the chances are vanishingly small - few or no fine roots near the trunk and near the surface. You cut the tap root and the tree will be dead in a few weeks - they die slowly, and maybe with a bit of pain too. Dont' go that way.

If the soil is heavier, with good silt and clay content, it sticks together when you dig it up, then you could well have fine roots close to the trunk. Many people have dug them up in such circumstances and had them survive well. If you have been getting the rain that many places in the SE have been getting, this could be the season to try collecting one.

Good luck, and try some curvaceous shapes as well as some 'straight' ones too.

Cheers
K
Corymbia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, junipers, Aussie natives
Bonsai Age: 35
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Australian National Bonsai Group, Wauchope B

Post by Corymbia »

Grant/Kunzea may be able to help me. I have a callitris glaucophylla that I have been growing as bonsai for about 10 years and I am unable to get it to back bud or shoot back on old wood. Following pinching or even pruning it just keeps growing skywards. I fertilise it well with native Osmocote but it badly needs repotting. Any suggestions?

Jan
Glenda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Swamp Cypress, Bouganvillea,
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Mackay Bonsai Club

Post by Glenda »

I have a cypress pine I bought a little while ago from bunnings - a callitris intratropica. Anyone familiar with this?

Glenda
"Knowledge is not a heavy thing to carry around" - JB Taylor (my father)
"The more you learn the more you earn" - JB Taylor
"There are exceptions to every rule, but to be an exception, you must first be exceptional" - Me

Return to “Callitris”