Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Callitris glaucophylla

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi everyone,

I was out touring for a few days and went past a stand of Callitris glaucophylla between Wagga and Hay. They don't seem to like to have wet feet and mostly grew in very limited areas on sides of hills or slight rises. Lots of seedlings around if you were wanting to collect(if possible). Many had deadwood on them which must be very old.
Callitris on side of hill.jpg
Callitris glaucophylla with natural deadwood.jpg
Close up of deadwood.jpg
Seedling C glaucophylla.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Re: Callitris glaucophylla

Post by Damian Bee »

Hey Grant,

That is a great post ;)
The Callitris genus are under utilised as specimens for Bonsai in Australia. I have three of the variety which you showed in your pics in early stages. They take rather well to having new growth pinched out to make foliage pads. The colour of the foliage is quite nice too. They are not slow growers, can handle the heat and dry exceptionally well, will take to being bent and twisted and cut back hard.
Go out and find yourself one, preferably from a nursery though or grow it from seed for best results.
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: NIL

Post by Petra »

Now i know why i always loose them. Was going great guns till the hot weather, then too much water. :oops:
Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow.The important thing is, to not stop questioning. Albert Einstein...
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Bump
Callitris at APAB Show 2008.jpg
Callitris glaucophylla at native show in Canberra.

Next show is on March 13th and 14th at the Australian National Botanical Gardens.

See CBS website for more info.

Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I have been looking at these guys out the corner of my eye in my travels and there is definitely some interesting examples. Occasionally I see one that looks right out of an American Bonsai forum and I think we do have trees like that here. It is only recently that I realised they where natives.

I have heard collection is too hard.
Any success stories out there?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Bretts wrote:I have been looking at these guys out the corner of my eye in my travels and there is definitely some interesting examples. Occasionally I see one that looks right out of an American Bonsai forum and I think we do have trees like that here. It is only recently that I realised they where natives.

I have heard collection is too hard.
Any success stories out there?
Hi Brett,

Seing you live out that way maybe you could do some predigging around them this year(severing roots near the surface after it rains) and then come back next year and collect.

Grant
Last edited by Grant Bowie on January 31st, 2010, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I will try to find a few to give it a go with Grant. Thanks for the thought!
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
dennismc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives, JBP, Cfrepe Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 40
Bonsai Club: Teacher, School of Bonsai

Post by dennismc »

Brett
U are right collecting Callitris from the wild is very difficult. Principally because when young in the wild they have tap roots almost as long as the tree is high. The living roots are almost all at the bottom of the taproot. Pre-cutting around the base of the tree would probably be a waste of time. All of this is an adaptation to the dry modern climate for this originally rain forest tree. Good material is often available in nurseries and viable seed can be obtained from trees in the wild after a good rain season.

However, if a tree had special qualities such as very blue foliage I probably would collect seeds (if available) and take some cuttings.

regards

Dennis Mc
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Hi Dennis

You may remember discussing these with me at the School Summit last year. I did not realise that they where a native until then. I thought they where some Forrest replacement project :lol:
I will have a go at collecting a couple. Maybe I could dig under from one side cut the tap root and then fill it back in?
Might try a young one this Autumn and see what happens.

I have also been considering air layer as there are some pretty interesting looking branches about.

Thanks for the input :)
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi Brett,

They are most definately natives.

Seed is easy to collect and viable.

I collected three seedlings years ago and 2 out of 3 survived.

Grant
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Checked with my mate Pol the other day and he has successfully collected a couple with about Inch or so trunks. Not much to look at but it is hopefully. They had very long tap roots which was kept.
He collected in mid Summer after lots of rain. He liked the idea of digging under and cutting the tap root to encourage better surface roots.
I missed the recent rains :|
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Bretts wrote:Checked with my mate Pol the other day and he has successfully collected a couple with about Inch or so trunks. Not much to look at but it is hopefully. They had very long tap roots which was kept.
He collected in mid Summer after lots of rain. He liked the idea of digging under and cutting the tap root to encourage better surface roots.
I missed the recent rains :|
You will never know if you never try youreself..

Lots of stuff is said to be impossible but the myths persist.

Grant
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I was thinking I have enough projects on the way Grant but I will try to experiment with this species as they are all around me. :D
Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Post by Ron »

I've been having an interesting time reading about this species on Google and it's relation - the black cypress pine - Callitris endlicheri.

It appears white cypress pine - Callitris glaucophylla - may have had a name change (or also be known as) Callitris columellaris.
Kunzea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Too many!
Bonsai Age: 47

Post by Kunzea »

Hi Ron
There has been some name confusions in Callitris 'glaucophylla'. C. columellaris is a valid species, but it is confined to coastal areas. The inland species, 'glaucophylla' was recognised as sufficiently different to have a name of its own. The inland, white cypress pine, is correctly called 'glaucophylla'. The coastal species is known as 'columellaris'.

Cheers
Kunzea

Return to “Callitris”