Glaucophylla, Rhomboidea etc
quodlibet_ens
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1

Callitris Muelleri

Post by quodlibet_ens »

I picked these up from a local native nursery on the cheap because they need a little TLC. My question for all of you fine folk, will this Cypress back bud?

As you can see they're already about 500mm tall, which is fine, I'd be happy for them to end up around 800-900mm tall, but I'd really like for them to back bud to be able to develop more in line with what I had in mind.

All is not lost if they don't, if they don't end up making good bonsai material I can plant them in the yard. That said, I did buy them to cheer myself up after a horrible day at work... (so I'd love them to turn out okay for bonsai training).ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Callitris Muelleri

Post by shibui »

Sorry to spoil your day again. I have not grown C. mueleri but have not been able to get buds on bare wood on the callitris species I have tried so I guess you will have trouble with these too.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Q,
If they were mine I would be tempted to go hard on them. First a repot ,just gently splay the roots {don't bareroot} and get in a good mix. I have found with most Callitris they will not back bud once they get a bit of size ,so a trunk chop down to a third .They are pretty young so you might have a chance. Looks like three of them are pushing new growth. Maybe chop those and wait for the others to start pushing out new growth before giving them the chop .. Sounds a bit dramatic but better to try get some lower branches happening while you can. Good luck with whatever you do . John.
quodlibet_ens
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by quodlibet_ens »

boom64 wrote:Hi Q,
If they were mine I would be tempted to go hard on them. First a repot ,just gently splay the roots {don't bareroot} and get in a good mix. I have found with most Callitris they will not back bud once they get a bit of size ,so a trunk chop down to a third .They are pretty young so you might have a chance. Looks like three of them are pushing new growth. Maybe chop those and wait for the others to start pushing out new growth before giving them the chop.

After repotting, how long would you wait before chopping them back? And when chopping back, would you give them a season bath for a day or 2 for a bit of aftercare?

Cheers

Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

As you have five of them, why not use a couple to experiment on and if they come good after chopping go ahead with the others. As with most Aus. natives the growing season is probably a good time to do that. :fc:
Cheers, Frank.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by matlea »

I’m growing a few C rhomboidea and C columellaris. These are a few years old from seed (about 40cm-50cm high and about 1cm thick) and have generated buds on the trunk. They seem to pop buds if well fed and plenty of sun. Mix is free draining pumice and a bit of bark. I haven’t tried cutting back to bare wood but have chopped back to lowest growth - and have had buds pop lower down on a healthy plant.

If it were mine I would either feed and place pots on the ground to let roots escape into the earth, or you could slip pot and get the plants healthy. The main part is trying to get the plant healthy and powering on.
Feed and then see if you get buds or think about cutting lower. I haven’t tried c muelleri so not sure if they will react the same??

Also if repotting don’t place back into full sun straight away, maybe early morning sun or limited sun exposure as my experience is they can curl up and die if exposed to too much heat / light - don’t seem to be able rehydrate quick enough and leave dry up.

Good luck!
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

I think Frank is on the money ,do the healthiest ones first .I would chop after they settle and show a bit of growth . Much better to get going quickly. That way you are not wasting time. As Shibui mentioned very hard to get back buds ,they are pretty young so you might get lucky. :fc: I know many use seasol with good results but i myself don't use it. John.
quodlibet_ens
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by quodlibet_ens »

Update on the Muelleri. I like the shape I've put into the two in didn't chop, but unfortunately no back budding on any of them at this point.ImageImage

Return to “Callitris”