Literati slowly getting there

EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Literati slowly getting there

Post by EdwardH »

This is my first attempt at a literati and for some reason back in 2007 I thought that a Elaeocarpus reticulatus was the perfect native species to use. :lost: If my memory serves correctly, I had cut off quite a few branches that I had used to thicken the trunk and when finished I realised that I had cut off ALL the lower branches :palm: so the obvious solution was to train a tree with large course leaves into a literati. Go figure. Oh well, where there is a will there is a way.
All suggestions on how to improve the tree are welcome.

Below is a pic of the tree before this afternoons trim.
2014 Dec A.JPG
Below is a pic of the tree after this afternoons trim.
2014 Dec D.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Re: Literati slowly getting there

Post by wattynine »

Interesting choice of tree, I'll give you that, if you can get it right it will certainly be unique.
:imo: the top is too heavy for the rest of the tree, could use some jinning down.
Good luck
Watty
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by EdwardH »

The top is the result of two failed thread grafts. The first was left for one year and the second was left on for two years before separating. On both occasions the new growth was substantially larger than the original branch used, especially the two year old graft yet neither "took". :lost: The second attempt had a very large swelling around the exit of the branch. Generally a sign of a successful thread graft. Not this time :lost:
Re the top, I'm in two minds as to jinn it or simply cut it off all together. At the moment I'm focused on reducing the leaves and developing the foliage pads. Time will tell which way I will go with the top.
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by EdwardH »

2016.png
This is my literati slowly getting there. It had it's haircut and the pads are starting to form. The middle and bottom branch are filling out OK however the top branch was too far from the trunk. I just cut back the top branch leaving a couple of little shoots so that I can bring it a bit closer to the trunk.
I have had no success in reducing the leaves as yet so if anyone has had any success I would love to learn your secret :reading: As always, I am open to any comments to improve this tree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I have a couple. Whenever I cut back hard the leaves come back large and internodes long. Probably the best method would be to get as much ramification as possible to spread the energy.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

I think it can work well, particularly if you can coax a berry or two.... Maybe watch the two low pads, they seem to sit on the same level in the photo. Have you considered defoliating? I'd certainly try it on something younger first. Good luck.

Gavin

Return to “Elaeocarpus Reticulatus”