My first attempt at Native - Eucalyptus Seedlings

Benji1980
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: TBA
Bonsai Age: 0

My first attempt at Native - Eucalyptus Seedlings

Post by Benji1980 »

What better way to spend Australia Day than to bite the bullet and purchase some Gum Seedlings!!

I purchased two Camaldulensis, and two Leucoxylon (SA Blue Gums).

Using some pots I had around the house I have planted the red gums in two 9inch pots (pic 1), and the blue gums in 8inch pots (pic 2).
All plants are between 18inches and 3feet high, but I will post actual heights later upon request (left emasurements at home today, whoops).

I have used Yates Potting Mix which includes an organic fertilizer for these plants (can give exact brand if required), as I figures bonsai potting mix wouldn't be used until you were ready for smaller pots (?).

If advice is to plant in ground for a year or three then I can plant them in two weeks time (getting some good quality top soil to dress my backyard).

When potting, I teased the roots loose with a bamboo skewer, then washed away the existing soil which also took away about half the roots (was I too harsh?) Seedlings were tightly pot bound, and the tap root was peeking out of the bottom on the seedling pot (and hardened on the end).

Initial comments greatly appreciated... Especially regarding my uneducated techniques.
I have a couple of questions which I'll post tonight, and also a Callistemon that I got at the same time (will post separately).

Thanks guys, pics below:
Camaldulensis 20110126 Both.jpg
Leucoxylon 20110126 Both.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Benji1980
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: TBA

Re: My first attempt at Native - Eucalyptus Seedlings

Post by Benji1980 »

Well it has been a week, and I meant to post this straight away, but time and weather got away from me.

First of all, Adelaide has been experiencing quite warm weather this week (up to 42 degrees yesterday), and my Eucalypt seedlings' leaves are hardening - there is water in the soil, but I am assuming the leaves are drying out - should I be concerned?

Also, one of my Leucoxylon's has an odd growth at the base of the trunk - should I be concerned about this? I wasn't sure, and bought it not really thinking anything of it, but thought I better check... It almost seems to be growing additional trunks maybe? I was hoping someone here might have a better answer (hopefully a positive, but I am expecting the worst).

Here is the pic:
Leucoxylon 20110126 B Roots.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Heya,

I think you should be ok with these as long as you keep the water up to them. I wouldnt be too concerned about the leaves drying up & dropping, this is the trees way of coping with the greatly reduced rootball. Koreshoff in there book on bonsai with natives recommends removing all leaves of eucs when repotting, others here do not completely defoliate without any trouble.

The swelling at the base of your leucoxylon is a lignotuber (an area of undifferentiated cells, ie they can produce root or leaf/stem) The lumps are growth buds, just let it be & watch as it springs into new life.

It would have been better to remove the tap root & keep as much fine root as possible but thats ok you can do that next time you repot. For now they need to be watered regularly, given a bit of seasol or similar every couple of days & start feeding once the first new growth is starting to harden off.

Enjoy the journey...

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
bazron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maples

Post by bazron »

hey benji hows things going with the eucs?

Aaron..

Return to “Eucalyptus”