KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Just a couple of eucalypts

Post by KIRKY »

I like the smaller leaf. Here was my confusion Eucalyptus rosacea is very similar to E. synandra (Jingymia Mallee) and E. leptopoda (Whipstick Mallee) as they all have similar shaped flowers and habits.
I looked up the rosacea last night on another site and they called it synandra.
Looking forward to seeing the both develop.
Just on a side note anyone managed to grow Eucalyptus from cuttings?
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

It turns out the synandra just needed a bit of Charlie Carp to kick it into gear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Just on a side note anyone managed to grow Eucalyptus from cuttings?
I have been away from cutting edge (pun intended) native propagation for a few years but remember there was some work on growing eucs as cuttings to select salt tolerant forms of E. camaldulensis. I believe they were having some success using juvenile shoots from the lignotuber after pruning the stock trees hard.

Just wondering if there have been advancements I searched and found a few interesting articles.

This one from ANPSA sets out some history and paramaters that could be useful spot to start: http://anpsa.org.au/APOL2007/sep07-s1.html
Another forestry site suggests that rooting ability is genetic and will vary from one individual to the next so forestry growers have selected high growth and high rooting clones for propagation by cuttings.

This abstract from a CSIRO research: https://www.publish.csiro.au/BT/BT9700175
The available physiological evidence suggests that ontogenetic ageing of E. Grandis seedlings involves a direct and quantitative association between decreased rooting ability of stem cuttings and increased levels of a rooting inhibitor in the tissue forming the base of the cutting. As detected by bioassay, this inhibitor is present only in adult tissue, which very rarely forms roots from stem cuttings. It is absent in easily rooted seedling stems of all Eucalyptus species tested, but it is also absent in the easily rooted adult tissue of the exceptional species E. deglupta. The ability of seedling cuttings of E. deglupta to root very easily in water provides an appropriate bioassay for monitoring the presence of inhibitor in other Eucalyptus species.
All that means it is definitely possible to strike euc cuttings but usually only from younger stems and under controlled conditions.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

I have e. deglupta, so next time I prune it I'll try to strike the cuttings and post the results.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

greg27 wrote: May 19th, 2020, 8:08 am So far the ones to watch in terms of back-budding are: gunii, dielsii, rosacea (lots of strong backbudding), caesia (has also thickened up quickly), kessellii, urnigera, and archeri.
Some more that have now started to back bud: kruseana, conglomerata, synandra, perriniana, websterana.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

I've unfortunately been a bit useless at keeping track of these. I sold quite a few off, mostly ones that weren't growing as strongly as others or didn't have much interest to them. I also managed to kill a few - dielsii, rosacea and caesia all died after a root prune and repot in January, which is unfortunate as they all had nice growth habits.

I still have seven species remaining: gunii, archeri, kruseana, miniritchii, perriniana, synandra and urnigera. The larger synandra randomly up and died a while back, but I still have two smaller ones that were in the same tube.

It's still very early days, but I reckon of these I think the ones that have the most promise are gunii and and kruseana. Both seem to be growing strongly, have plenty of foliage and branches and will most likely hold onto their juvenile leaves which are nice and small.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

I'll throw this one in too - a recent purchase from the state flora nursery for the princely sum of $1. Eucalyptus gardneri, blue mallet. It has a nice growth habit and seems more than happy to back bud.

Edit: ignore the aphids in that photo - they're gone now :oops:
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

Recently the gunii dried out a bit, which it apparently did not like. All the leaves dried out and it looked like it was dead. It sat like that for a few weeks, but I've just noticed it's budding out all along the trunk.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

That’s good news really like the leaf on the Gunnii looking forward to see how it develops.
I find all eucalyptus thirsty and don’t take kindly to drying out. Will often pop back to life if not left too long dry.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

The kruseana is now covered in flower buds! This tree is away from being anything close to a bonsai so I'll leave these on and see what happens.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Very interesting - I've not seen flowers on bonsai Eucs. How far did it have to extend before it set flowers, and how have you been fertilising? I'm also impressed by the species - it's never been happy to grow here for me. Well done!

Gavin
dave_f
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by dave_f »

greg27 wrote:The kruseana is now covered in flower buds! This tree is away from being anything close to a bonsai so I'll leave these on and see what happens.
That’s awesome Greg! Do you use Charlie Carp on all of your natives. My natives are really slow:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

GavinG wrote: February 24th, 2022, 3:18 pm How far did it have to extend before it set flowers, and how have you been fertilising? I'm also impressed by the species - it's never been happy to grow here for me.
It had a light trim a month or so ago, but it is pretty leggy. Fert is Charlie Carp every few weeks, with some Rooster Booster thrown on the surface.

So far it's been fairly forgiving for me. A few other euc species have died back (or just died) on me, but this one has been quietly powering along. Maybe it's a fan of the dry climate here?
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

dave_f wrote: February 24th, 2022, 7:02 pm That’s awesome Greg! Do you use Charlie Carp on all of your natives. My natives are really slow:(
Yep Charlie Carp + Rooster Booster on everything!
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

:tu:

Return to “Eucalyptus”