BonsaiLittleMe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Any
Bonsai Age: 0

Eucalyptus vitrix (Western Coolabah)

Post by BonsaiLittleMe »

Hi all,
I bought a Euc. vitrix as tubestock about six weeks ago.
Euc victrix 30Jan19_edited resized.jpg
Planting notes from the Australian Native Plants Society website indicate vitrix is native to WA north of Kalbarri and into central NT. It's habitat is floodplains. This probably means it will like lots of water during the heat of summer and prefer to be dryer in the winter. It is a small to medium tree, slow growing with an open canopy and grey-green leaves. Kings Park Board notes state that it has white bark and the leaves have a white bloom on them. It's trunk has a contorted shape. That all sounds like a lovely tree, if I can manage to keep it alive.

My tubestock was put into a colander and planted in the ground in a semi-shaded position to recover. I have now dug it up as it has more than doubled in height, and it will be going back in the ground in a full-sun position.

I intend to wire the trunk, to try and develop some of those contortions that give the victrix its character while the stem is still supple enough to bend.
But my question is, should I be cutting the stem back at all before it goes back in the ground? Or even just removing the growth tip to induce any branching?

Also, I couldn't find very much detail on growth notes in any threads here, so I am wondering if anyone else has tackled the victrix, and if so, whether it was worth pursuing as a bonsai.

Any advice or suggestions will be much appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Eucalyptus vitrix (Western Coolabah)

Post by shibui »

The eucs I have played with seem to be reluctant to bud unless they are forced to. Like most trees they would rather grow up to full height as quick as possible. Pruning seems to be the best way to get branching lower on the trunks. Pinching the soft tips generally only results in the last 2 buds sprouting. You can let them grow quite large then cut back hard and they will sprout new buds from the trunk and base. Wiring for shape while still flexible is a great way forward. I put more bend than needed in young trunks because most trees thicken more inside the bends so trunks get straighter as they thicken.
I haven't growth vitrix but see no reason why it should behave differently from other eucs. It will be great to hear what your experiences are.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BonsaiLittleMe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Any
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Eucalyptus vitrix (Western Coolabah)

Post by BonsaiLittleMe »

Hi shibui,
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advice re eucalypts, hopefully I can make something of this tree, it sounds like it could make a nice little bonsai.
I will wire it up and put it in the ground over the weekend when it cools down a bit. Forecast of 39 degrees today......too hot to be outside.

Return to “Eucalyptus”