Sno gum

Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Sno gum

Post by Sno »

Eucalyptus pauciflora . Or commonly called Snow gum . This tree was started from seed over ten years ago as part of a batch that was grown for rehabilation of a degraded area . It got left behind because it was a poor specimen .
It was growing for a while in an 8 inch pot and then was put into a garden seive it got smashed a few times in the winds that are prevalent up here in the winter . It probably did it good in the end , character building . I made this pot a while ago and it's slowly been growing into the pot .
The leaves are massive :o . But who cares it's all about the trunk and in time with ramification I think I can reduce them a fair bit . Snow gums are temperamental and die back easier than other gums that I grow so you have to be careful when pruning and I wouldn't be game to defoliate too much .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Cheers Sno
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Sno gum

Post by MJL »

Geez that bark is beautiful. Worth the price of admission. ;) I’ve gotta say, one of my favourite works in progress is in the native comp - a stand of River Gums. They take almost daily care due to the speed of their growth but just fantastic. Thanks for posting Sno and showing such a lovely native and it’s stunning bark.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I agree. That bark is developing really well. I thought it might take longer so That's good to know.
Well done to persevere with this species :tu:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

I love snow gums. I'm hoping to get my hands on afew this year to start some as well. Are you heading down for the CBS meet this Saturday?
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Great work Craig ,Trunk and Bark WOW and the leaf colour is something special. Cheers John.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Thanks MJL , looking forward to seeing your River gums develop , I wish I could grow them up here .
shibui wrote: July 30th, 2019, 7:08 pm I agree. That bark is developing really well. I thought it might take longer so That's good to know.
Well done to persevere with this species :tu:
Hi Shibui . This is my better one , I have a few that are in the 'character building ' stage . Sometimes its one step forward two steps back .

Hi Keels . Winter is here . It's hard for me to go away during the ski season so I can't make it thus weekend ,see you in spring .

Thanks John it has quite a few colour changes through out the year . The spring new growth starts out a reddish colour .
Cheers Craig
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

A24F9159-3503-4942-9AD2-A9B0E979E82A.jpeg
What’s a snow gum with out snow . We are getting some moisture at the moment this morning it was just a white blob .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

I like the tube wiring technique Sno - thought it was a sno snake at first glance. :D

Return to “Eucalyptus”