Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

River Red Gum

Post by Keels »

This is my first gum tree I've started developing for bonsai. I've grown a whole bunch but they haven't got to a stage to start developing. I purchased this seedling just before spring 2019 at cool natives in Canberra.

I wired it a couple of weeks ago. I've been allowing the top to grow freely while maintaining the lower branches. Seems to be working so far.

I did have an issue with some lumpy growths (burls... Maybe??) at the base of the trunk. I chopped the lumps off and filled it with soil just above the cuts. Seems to have healed fairly well plus no more lumpy growths at the base. :tu: you can see the scar in the first photo at the base of the trunk.

Anyway enjoy the pictures. I'll post my progress on this beauty in the near future. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: River Red Gum

Post by shibui »

The lumps at the base of Eucs are a natural part of many Euc species growth. I think it is some sort of storage thing so they can survive through a hard season while still young. many species go on to develop a lignotuber - a swollen bulb like growth at the base of the trunk. Again, an adaptation to survive hard times. I was told that Red gums can be collected by cutting off all trunk above the lignotuber and all roots below it then plant the bare lignotuber at ground level. It should grow new roots below and new shoots above. I can't verify this as I have not tried it. They seem to transplant quite well when some roots and stem is left on.
Mallee gums are well known for the large lignotuber (mallee roots) that allows them to survive fires and droughts and produce new stems from ground level each time.

Looks like red gums have no real objection to having those bulges removed early on. That's a new bit of info for me :tu:

Good luck with the development and keep posting your findings.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

shibui wrote: February 11th, 2020, 5:22 pm Looks like red gums have no real objection to having those bulges removed early on. That's a new bit of info for me :tu:

Good luck with the development and keep posting your findings.
Thanks for your wisdom shibui learnt a few things I didn't know :tu: I'll keep posting how this one progresses.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

Hi Keels . Nice movement in the trunk . I would be a bit careful on leaving the wire on to long ,they can take a long while for wire marks to grow out . You may have to take the wire off and on a few times to keep that beautiful line . The branch on the inner curve is a bit distracting from the movement in the trunk . It also looks like the tree is putting its energy into that branch rather than the main trunk . It will be nice to see this one develop.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

Sno wrote: February 12th, 2020, 4:47 pm The branch on the inner curve is a bit distracting from the movement in the trunk . It also looks like the tree is putting its energy into that branch rather than the main trunk . It will be nice to see this one develop.
I was thinking the same but I'm not sure if I should completely remove it or keep reducing it. Currently I've been reducing it but it's just so strong at that point.

I also think it's time to remove the wire and re apply. It's border line at the moment.

Cheers Sno

Return to “Eucalyptus”