MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

River Red Gum test repot

Post by MJL »

This is hardly scientific ... in fact, it’s not scientific at all. I will be repotting my River Red Gum group in the [Natural] comp soon. I am a bit worried because I have come to like that group and as I haven’t repotted this species before - I am not sure what I’ll find re: roots; how hard I can cut them back etc....so I have two other gums and this morning I did a test.

From the outset - I was surprised how many super-fine and fragile white roots existed! But touch ‘em and they fall off. Tricky.

In effect - I went accidentally too hard at the bigger tree and basically just re-arranged the roots on the smaller tree. For some reason - I expected both to wilt and the fact that the larger one wilted almost immediately is of concern ... perhaps I should cut them back before repotting? That said, the smaller one shows no signs of immediate distress.

My guess - I’m 80% sure I just killed the bigger one. I am 89.4% sure the little one will thrive.

I’ll let you know in a few weeks.ImageHappy to receive any river red gum re-potting advice.
As they were ....big one repotted first- then little one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by MJL on October 18th, 2020, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: River Red Gum test repot

Post by greg27 »

I find river red gums to be quite tough - I'll be surprised if your bigger one carks it. Keep them wet for a couple of weeks and you'll be right I reckon. You might get a bit of die-back on the newer growth that's all droopy but other than that it should be fine.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

I too reckon you'll be OK with these ones MJ. As Greg27 said keep the moisture up. :yes:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I've slaughtered roots on red gum and they still grow back. I was told it is possible to cut all roots off and all top growth and just plant the lignotuber and it will sprout new roots and new shoots. I usually prune the top when doing roots but there is a lot of evidence to say that is not necessary. I'm confident your trees will survive and thrive after the repot.

New white roots are very brittle in most species. Need to be very careful when potting layers for instance because roots can just drop off.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Mark, you will probably loose the soft new growth. I find you either repot before the new spring shoots or wait for them to harden off. Otherwise you get wilt. Once repotted I sit mine in a tray of season/water.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

I always cut the tops when I cut roots on Eucs, for the same purpose, to pull the tree back to where I want this year's growth to start. There is no point in leaving long lanky growth on the top - cut hard, grow long, fatten quickly. If the new fresh shoots are wilting, fix the problem - cut hard! I also tend to attack Eucs a bit later when the heat hits - late November or December. Bare-rooting Eucs is usually fine, with the tops cut back as well.

Gavin
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Thanks Gavin and all. Incredibly - at least in my mind / the weather is very mild in Melbourne today - 20 degrees - I just sat down to chew on a spiced rum and dry - looked out and saw my [Natural] entry wilting!! I have already watered them today! Up from the couch - and back into water trays for all my natives like I did last year - these guys drink loads!! Crumbs!Image

its_kano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by its_kano »

I love these trees. Very special indeed. Camaldulensus utylise a biological chemical process called aleopathy which from from memory inhibits the growth of most other trees/plants in the surrounding area but at the same time assists in the survival/germination of its own kind. I ordered 4 tube stock about 2 months ago and they have not stopped growing as they have no specific growing season. Enjoy these trees, I am loving working with them atm.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

I usually cut these back before repotting. If you wait until the subsequent new buds just start to swell then that is an ideal time to repot, and you can bare root at this time too.

I've found them pretty forgiving but I still prefer not to have soft new growth when I work on the roots. Haven't lost one yet.

Matt.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Matt S wrote:I usually cut these back before repotting. If you wait until the subsequent new buds just start to swell then that is an ideal time to repot, and you can bare root at this time too.

I've found them pretty forgiving but I still prefer not to have soft new growth when I work on the roots. Haven't lost one yet.

Matt.
Thanks Matt - that sounds good - I’ll give mt Comp entry a cut back soon and repot at some point in late November I reckon.Image

Return to “Eucalyptus”