Camaldulensis

its_kano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1

Camaldulensis

Post by its_kano »

Hi all, ever since my bonsai addiction I have been very fascinated in the river redgum trees. I am located in Sydney nsw and as far as I was aware they only grow on the Murray, Great dividing range. Someone told me the other day there are other spots north on the hunter region. I would love to take a trip with the family one weekend if possible to view these magnificent trees in person. Can anyone inform me if there are places that they know of where I can go visit that are not too far from Sydney?
I have 4 tube stock camaldulensus growing strong but I would just love to see some very old trees in person. Any advice would be splendid.
Thankyou. Kind regards.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Camaldulensis

Post by shibui »

Eucalyptus camaldulensis is one of the most widespread eucs. It grows along water courses in every state and territory. Any of the Murray darling river systems have camaldulensis but that means crossing the divide for you.

Hunter flood plain redgums are endangered after so much clearing. -
Hunter Floodplain Red Gum Woodland has been recorded from the local government areas of Maitland, Mid-Western, Muswellbrook, Singleton, and Upper Hunter but may occur elsewhere within the NSW North Coast and Sydney Basin Bioregions. Mapped occurrences include few remnants greater than 10 hectares and many small remnants less than 10 hectares, indicating severe fragmentation. Within the Central Hunter Valley geographic distribution is estimated to have been reduced by more than 90% of its pre-European extent.
We saw some really great twisted and contorted red gums in a coastal reserve somewhere on the North NSW coast but I can't remember where exactly which does not help you much.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Those coastal red gums have been bugging me all night :palm:

It finally came to me :idea: Meringo on the NSW south coast near Tuross Heads so probably just a bit far for a day trip from Sydney.
I seem to recall these are some of the only red gums close to the beach. On checking I cannot find E. camaldulensis listed for that area so these are probably E. tereticornis AKA forest red gum.
Located just behind the primary dunes the trees are small and twisted so probably not really representative of camaldulensis as a species but interesting none the less.
Red gum Meringo 2.JPG
Red gum - Meringo 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
its_kano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by its_kano »

Oh wow! Awsome replies Shibui. Am looking into it further. Definately on the bucket list!
Sad news today for me, just got home and one of my redgums has been bitten back hard by either a parrot or a cockatoo :(
Very upset... Oh well who knows it may end up having better movement in the future. Fingers crossed.
its_kano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by its_kano »

:cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Eucalyptus”