Eucalyptus collection

Ako
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Northern districts bonsai club

Eucalyptus collection

Post by Ako »

When is the best time of year to collect eucalyptus?
I have the opportunity to collect a few from a friend's house I'm just wanting to give them their best chance for survival.
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Re: Eucalyptus collection

Post by Phil Rabl »

In February 2020, I posted a summary of AusBonsai post on Eucalypts to this site. Here is a link to it. viewtopic.php?f=78&t=28106

The summary includes this: "If you are planning on collecting a tree, be aware that the roots may be long and deep and you may not have surface roots to keep it going. If you want to be more certain do some work on it first. One post says: ‘I would cut around it with a shovel, cutting heavy roots and then replace some of the dirt with your bonsai mix. Leave it for a few months then if there are new roots growing in the mix dig it’. Opinions as to when is the best time to do a dig vary: some say autumn; other say the warmer months. There is general agreement, however, that you should put it into as free-draining mix as you can get, and water it frequently (2-4 times a day) afterwards. Some growers have succeeded, others have failed."

Hope this helps.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

as with Phil --but I would first dig a thin access hole under each (avoiding any surface roots)and chop off the main taproot as high as possible then back fill -water well for a couple of weeks then go at it
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Post by PeterH »

Depends on many variables

Soil
How wet/dry the area
How old
When I did collect it was from November thru to end January and young saplings( western NSW)

Return to “Eucalyptus”