Eucalyptus aggregata

Hanro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Eucalyptus aggregata

Post by Hanro »

Hello people,
I am curious as to whether anybody on this forum has used Black Gum as Bonsai and any issues, they might have had growing them.
Why I ask is that many years ago I bought a tray of tube stock in the specials trolley. Over the years of neglect, I have used a few and they have reacted well to pot culture. In fact, it is the only Euc that I have been able to style at less than 300mm. Also, before they start to put on the fibres bark, they are extremely flexible.

Regards,

Peter
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Re: Eucalyptus aggregata

Post by Phil Rabl »

A couple of years ago, I posted a summary of Ausbonsai discussion threads on eucalypts. You might find something helpful in what others have said about training eucalypts as bonsai. Here is a link to that post: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=28106
Hanro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hanro »

Hi Phil,

Thankyou for that link. It is a good summary but there is no reference to aggregata. I have been working with eucalypts since 1995 and have at times, in the past, documented my observation's in various forms. These days there are more people interested in Eucs and growing them as Bonsai/Penjing or what I like to call an Australian tree/landscape in a pot.

Thank you for your time,

Kind Regards,

Peter H
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Post by Phil Rabl »

D'day Peter
The fact that I didn't find anything on E. aggregata when I did my summary suggests that your original question won't draw out much information. But if you have some knowledge of it, in particular how well it is suited to bonsai, please post it and I will add the information to my post.
Phil
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Hi Peter,

I have had a couple over the years, but they do not seem to be as robust to my kind of abuse as, frinstance, bridgesiana, crenulata or punctata.

They will make a small bonsai, and aren't as top-dominant as nichollii, but they haven't survived for me. And their lignotubers can be ugly.

Gavin

Return to “Eucalyptus”