Big old fig tree with a narly trunk.

NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Big old fig tree with a narly trunk.

Post by NAHamilton »

Here is the update of this one Paul, the photo is terrible sorry but it's so hard to move. I'll get a better one next time I have someone to help me shift it.
BENJI.jpg
I've been fattening the two lower branches and a back branch at about the same height and will continue to do so and get some taper over the next 2-3 years. The one on the left is the approach graft you put on it. I've removed some large branches/trunks which will leave some large scarring. Once it's a bit further along I plan to use Ash's technique at the beginning of this thread and hopefully :fc: cover them with the strangler roots. I'm not sure what is happening with the apex, I have a few options but no need to decide yet. It will definitely be a bit shorter than it is now. I'm using these style of Vietnamese trees as inspiration. Not everyone's cup of tea but I like them.
18.jpg
IMG_6229.JPG
This is the QLD Small leaf i was talking about sheepdawg. Still a long way to go but it's begun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by NAHamilton »

This ones an update for Paul who I got this tree from, although any criticism is welcome.

My current aim is to grow out the left apex slightly higher than the current. That along with filling out the higher branches. Aside from the apex the current proportions are more or less what I’m aiming for. The bush in the bottom right is just branches for new roots.

Cheers Nigel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paulneill
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Paulneill »

Holly shari what a tree. Looks amazing , you are getting some good taper in those branches. Thanks for the update
Psymo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Psymo »

NAHamilton wrote:This ones an update for Paul who I got this tree from, although any criticism is welcome.

My current aim is to grow out the left apex slightly higher than the current. That along with filling out the higher branches. Aside from the apex the current proportions are more or less what I’m aiming for. The bush in the bottom right is just branches for new roots.

Cheers Nigel
Hi Nigel,
any update on this piece?
Cheers
Paulneill
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Paulneill »

Yea Nigel, how’s the big fig going now. It’s been a while and was looking mint in 2016
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by NAHamilton »

Hi Paul,

I got a bit sidetracked from bonsai and I'd just been letting it grow and cutting back hard. I guy wired all of the branches last winter and grafted a front branch about 2 years back. Some branching has gotten quite leggy so I’m hoping for some new shoots or I’ll graft there aswell.

There’s an undeniable skill problem that’s stopping this tree from reaching its real potential though :palm:

I have to figure out how to resize photos on my iPhone and will put a pic, just didn’t want your post to get left without a reply.

Cheers,
Nigel

Return to “Ficus”