pebble
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society

Ficus nerifolia

Post by pebble »

Today after a year of neglect I decided to give my ficus nerifolia a hair cut and a bit of shaping.I lost a few branches last year to not enough sun and over watering coming out of summer. So was time for a rethink.

I Picked what branches I wanted to keep at the bottom of the tree and wired them up into shape but I am struggling with the ugly top caused from a previous chop.

As seen here. There is a branch at the back of the chop that I was hoping to keep for the tree. So that kind of rules out a taper chop at the back.
Was thinking I could remove all unwanted and use a tiny branch in the middle of the chop,

but not sure that will look good.
Or cut off all unwanted and leave very front branch and twist it around the ugly chop

What's everyone's option on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
im a total newb
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Ficus nerifolia

Post by shibui »

I know this seems to be a problem for a beginner. I remember worrying about the same things not so long ago BUT... You will find that you don't need so many branches on the tree. The ones you have kept will all grow and soon it will be too crowded and you'll need to cut some more off so I don't think you will actually miss that little branch at the chop. I would go ahead and make the taper cut. Just leave one leader to grow the new apex and cut it quite short too for now. You might even find some new buds sprouting in that area if you really think you need some more there.
The other option is to cut the trunk down at the next branch (this time cut on an angle from the start) and wire it up for a new apex.

I see you have left 2 (3 or 4?) branches at the same level down the bottom. I can see that the trunk is already starting to bulge at that point. Leaving both of these will speed up the thickening and I'd expect you will have a big bulge there in a few years. I'd get rid of the extras now and save yourself some grief.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pebble
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pebble »

Full of good advice shibui, yeah your right.thanks again.
As for the bulge, was thinking that but there wasn't a lot to chose from around there and was all at the same height but there is at least one that could go. Will fix it up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
im a total newb
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

are you going to go first branch, back branch, third branch on this or does that not suit ficus? i suppose ficus are more broom style...just wondering
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Hi there

This might help you to develop/design your fig...a 3 part fig

First starting with stock whether you buy or grow your own...once you're about ready with the initial trunk(main) ,leave small shoots on ,cut off all big branches and knock the top off......feed..feed..feed..the fig will then throw more shoots and opportunities for you.

Then when your tree has many shoots like my image,then look for best front, then select needed branches.

We tilt the main trunk away from viewer,,then second stage slightly forward and angled to one side.. then top part(third stage )forward again over top of base with slight different angle to the second stage...nothing to difficult here

sketch will help here.,,In fact i have just set one..this will be a tall more elegant fig for something different compared to alot of my heavy figs.
phpKUOWVQAM.jpg
phpXm89sIAM.jpg
Healthy
php0PwJTMAM.jpg
pick he front
phpJyA4XAAM.jpg
pick the keepers for now,we can remove later or add,this grows very quick in my area.

With this image we have the main set up going away,second stage coming slightly forward..we will grow out when correct thickness is reached we cut for size and taper then look for a shoot to come back to make the top back over the base and forward with once again correct portions and taper.

We could also slightly tilt the main if we like so the second stage also stays central with every other part,your call there.

In the last image I flooded the pot for now to hopefully promote some more good surface roots and with branching slowly radiating them up.

That is one way for you ,might give you some ideas...good luck...cheers Anthony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by anthonyW on March 7th, 2017, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Brilliant post Anthony... Super informative and great images to illustrate your point.
:yes:
pebble
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pebble »

anthonyW wrote:Hi there

This might help you to develop/design your fig...a 3 part fig
thanks so much very helpfull.
if i was to remove most of thee branches should i wait till a differnt time of the year or would now be ok?
im a total newb
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Neil has given you good advice with your trees associated problems with your current set up and something to think about using one of the bottom two shoots/branches as your new leader or you could use the left one next level if pliable enough to put into position for your second stage.

Okay for now and this is just me,being a bit late in the season.... I would remove the branches that I have crossed(ditto Neil)..they are causing and/or going to cause problems.

With what I have left on we have enough to photosynthesis till next spring and you will most likely get some more shoots to boot before it shuts down,keep feeding till you notice growth has stopped

Then next spring we play ball,Neils suggested way,very good building some more taper etc...or if your happy with the present taper,what I have suggested with as above.

Both ways will make a fine fig...you have six mths to decide lol :)

But for now I think you should at least do this ...good luck..cheers Anthony.
phpTP6HUYPM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Thanks Ryceman

cheers Anthony
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Another one for you I just set up...3 part root cutting mini
php6d8rpgPM.jpg
Main trunk then left right bang :)

Anthony

Return to “Ficus”