Theodore
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Larch
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Albury Wodonga Bonsai Society

Figs and Frost

Post by Theodore »

Thought I would share an experience for the benefit of all.

The nights get below zero here in winter and as such I move my figs under cover into our outdoor dining area. They happily sit on the table out of harms way. I have used this method over the last few years with no problems...........

Well, after two consecutive nights of -5 degrees, my plan will have to change.

Side closest to the house.

Side facing out.

The under cover area.

I now know I need to provide more cover. I'm thinking they will get moved all the way in against the house in future.

The one question I have is should I cut off all the affected leaves and branches now or just leave it?

Theo
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Figs and Frost

Post by shibui »

Climate variability is longer term than we tend to think about. A few warm winters and everyone forgets how cold it sometimes gets.
The cold has not damaged the figs in the igloo (yet :cry: ) but it has been cold enough in there to blacken all the sweet potato cuttings for the first time since I've been growing them (about 5 years). I do remember couple of cold winters some years back where I did have fig damage though.

Pruning - It probably won't matter either way Theo. The damaged bits will die but should not die back further just because they are left on the tree. Pruning the dead bits will obviously not take anything away from the tree as far as health and nutrition so should not affect the tree either so if you want them to look a bit better or taking them inside then tidy up first.
If it was to stay out in the cold the dead outer layer will provide some protection for the inner shoots so if you're leaving them out don't prune until weather warms up.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Ficus”