Simonsays
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Victorian native bonsai club

Port jackson figs Melbourne

Post by Simonsays »

Hi, I've just recently started bonsai, this has been my first growing season and I've been out and bought 5 trees so far. I really like ficus and have decided to invest in a port jackson fig. Does anyone know where they can be had around the Melbourne area? They seem to be all over NSW and QLD but rather on the rare side down in VIC.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Port jackson figs Melbourne

Post by shibui »

Plenty of PJs grown in Victoria even though they are frost tender and may need winter protection. That may be why some bonsai nurseries don't always have them in stock but you should be able to find some at one or more of the commercial nurseries.
An even better bet is to get involved with a bonsai club in your area. many of us grow more trees than we can manage and therefore have trees to sell/ give away.
Bonsai North West have their show 2nd and 3rd of May this year at Footscray. It would be a fair bet there will be some PJs on the sales tables there.
If you can't find anything Shibui Bonsai has a few PJs available. Can be mailed to customers. Email Neil for more.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Simonsays
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Simonsays »

Thanks Shibui, I am looking to join northwest bonsai when they meet next month so will check the sales table at this year's show. And I'll keep my eye out until then in the local nurseries.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

As you meet a few of the members you should mention you are looking for PJs. Someone may be able to help before May. Most club members are really helpful.
Simonsays
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Simonsays »

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting involved in the club scene. The Internet is great but sometimes nothing better than being able to speak to people and learn face to face with few pointers
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Simonsays wrote:Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting involved in the club scene. The Internet is great but sometimes nothing better than being able to speak to people and learn face to face with few pointers
Imageyep .... and albeit I have never been to Bonsai Northwest because it’s over the other side of the city - it seems to be a fantastic club. Participation and face to face chats are really helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Simonsays wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 6:26 am Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting involved in the club scene. The Internet is great but sometimes nothing better than being able to speak to people and learn face to face with few pointers
The other bonus is that most will be happy for you to take any prunings as they work on their trees. Figs are easy from cuttings and grow quickly. I have acquired a number of species in this manner.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

There are many benefits to club membership:
Experienced members can SHOW how to do something. Written online explanations are tedious so people tend to leave bits out and then there's the problem of misinterpretation and you don't find out for a year or 2. Face to face talk and demo can avoid many ambiguities and lead to far better outcomes.
Mutual help from members - I can water yours while you are away if you look after mine some time, or help with potting, or help me with digging the field grown trees, etc.
Excess trees - some find themselves with too many and are generous enough to give them away to newcomers as encouragement :tu:
Members are often able to buy stock or even older trees for reasonable rates because we know they are going to a good home.
Moral and spiritual encouragement: just being around other committed bonsai people gives you a lift and encouragement to keep going. After a club meeting I find myself with renewed enthusiasm to work on the trees.

I can vouch for BNW even though I'm not actually a member. We have been supplying stock for the sales tables for a number of years now so I know many of the key members and they are very helpful - a lot of them are among the great Ausbonsai members.
Simonsays
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Simonsays »

That's a lot of good reasons to join a club shubui. Glad to hear I've picked such a reputable one to join also👍

Return to “Ficus”