Ficus work in the winter

Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Ficus work in the winter

Post by Homer911 »

I live on the NSW/QLD boarder and I have a ficus that really needs a repot and/or a root prune.

I understand that it is the wrong time to work on Ficus at the moment but being in a sub tropical climate, will it be ok?

I would rather trim it back in spring when I can use the cuttings for propagation or will they take now?ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

nathan987
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Ficus work in the winter

Post by nathan987 »

In my experience, most figs are indestructible. I typically repot mine now-ish (I did my two large ones about three weeks or a fortnight ago).

But, I do it now when their growth has stopped because I otherwise always forget before they shoot in spring. I sometimes get some die back in smaller weaker branches, but as mine are in the trunk development stage, it doesn’t matter. So, whilst not ideal for recovery and capturing new growth, it works for me and my forgetful nature.

I’m no expert on cuttings, but would think that they have limited prospects at this time of the year.

Whilst your fig is clearly growing out of its pot, it looks perfectly healthy, so I wouldn’t think that there is an immediate NEED to repot. You also appear to have plenty of smaller branches (some of which might die off if you repot now). So, if there is no absolute need, why don’t you wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

You might be ok. I live on the Mid North Coast of NSW and we are still getting quite warm nights mostly. Although I'm sure that will change soon. As mentioned by Nathan, it looks healthy so I wouldn't think it is in desperate need. I'd wait until mid to late spring. That way you can cut the roots back quite hard as well as cutting back the top and you would get a much better response. Figs often produce a few big fat roots that will need to be cut back hard to develop a good nebari and I think you'll have a much better recovery when the tree is strongly growing.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Thanks guys, im probably being impatient. I will leave it until spring.....

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Many people seem to think that when roots appear at the bottom of a pot that's a sign that the tree is root bound and in need of repotting. Not really the case :imo: Roots grow as far as they can so the bottom of the pot is the first place they appear. It does not mean the pot is full and they are looking for new spaces.
I would just trim those roots and leave the rest until spring.
But, I do it now when their growth has stopped because I otherwise always forget before they shoot in spring.
I am interested in this comment Nathan. It seems to imply that we should not repot if the tree has started growing???
In my experience that's far from the truth. Figs and my other natives respond far better to root pruning when they are actually growing strongly. I've had far less problems since I've been root pruning during growth phase. I know others, especially native growers also repot during the growing season with good results.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Thanks Shibui,

I am probably more aware of large roots forming in the pot rather than being pot bound. I just thought that it may be better to try to remove these before they get any worse.

I could cit the longs roots off from under the pot and pull it out of the pot to check to see if there are any larger roots visible then decide whether to repot or not.

Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

shibui wrote: May 30th, 2020, 5:43 pm Many people seem to think that when roots appear at the bottom of a pot that's a sign that the tree is root bound and in need of repotting. Not really the case :imo: Roots grow as far as they can so the bottom of the pot is the first place they appear. It does not mean the pot is full and they are looking for new spaces.
I would just trim those roots and leave the rest until spring.
But, I do it now when their growth has stopped because I otherwise always forget before they shoot in spring.
I am interested in this comment Nathan. It seems to imply that we should not repot if the tree has started growing???
In my experience that's far from the truth. Figs and my other natives respond far better to root pruning when they are actually growing strongly. I've had far less problems since I've been root pruning during growth phase. I know others, especially native growers also repot during the growing season with good results.
Im with Neil. I repot my port jackson figs in January here. That gives the tree a few months to settle in and continue growing before the cooler weather sets in.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

I agree that the first roots to push through the pot are the dominant ones that you will cut off in spring.
Often when putting orchid pots with figs onto garden beds with good soil, one or two roots will push
through occasionally splitting the plastic with their over exuberance . Anyway I just keep on feeding and
let them go. Then start pruning/repotting in September [Sydney area]. Your fig has plenty of leaf to keep growing through winter
and when it warms up a bit in Brisbane, not that it ever really cools, your set to cut roots, take cuttings etc.
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Here it is 5 years ago. Father’s Day gift from the girls. Image
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Hard to believe that monster is the same as that cute little stick but I do know how well figs can grow given the chance.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by juan73870 »

You've done a great job creating well balanced branching and a beautiful thick trunk over the past five years :clap:
Have you got any progression photos from over the five years that you could post? Would love to see them if you do :)
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
nathan987
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by nathan987 »

Homer911 wrote:[IMG]Here it is 5 years ago. Father’s Day gift from the girls. Image

Ha ha, bring back the smiling love heart!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nathan987
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by nathan987 »

[quote="shibui"
In my experience that's far from the truth. Figs and my other natives respond far better to root pruning when they are actually growing strongly. [/quote]

Neil, that is probably more me accepting the ‘received wisdom’ than any well-considered position. As I say, I have treated my figs so far with very little regard for their preferences and they have largely taken it all on the chin.

I have also cut back and root pruned hard and repotted in the middle of growing season, without problems. Once mine are in more of a refinement stage, I will probably be more considerate and take your (and others’) advice on repotting during their active growing season as a rule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I have repotted ficus in mid winter in sydney with barely a hiccup.
I get slower growth but they do not stop completely.

if you get night below or near zero then leave them be till warmer times arrive

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

juan73870 wrote:You've done a great job creating well balanced branching and a beautiful thick trunk over the past five years :clap:
Have you got any progression photos from over the five years that you could post? Would love to see them if you do :)
No really, but here is a couple of in between photos

Return to “Ficus”