Ficus Rubiginosa 2018-

SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Ficus Rubiginosa 2018-

Post by SquatJar »

Being a newbie I've been waiting a few years on creating a progression thread, as I felt I haven't had anything worth adding to the bonsai community, and while this post and tree is hardly worthy, I figure three years is long enough to wait.

I spotted this PJ fig at my first Bonsai show in 2018, I took a picture and sent it to my girlfriend saying how cool it was, she replied to buy it, so $50 later, I did. As most here at Ausbonsai will know, it was only a few weeks until I was full on obsessed with this awesome hobby.
1show.jpg
When I got it home I knew I didn't like the big wound at the base, so I mounded some soil up around it and covered it with paper to stop it washing away each time I watered. :palm:
1.1.jpg
The following year and a half I proceeded through the 'must have every species' phase and purchased hundreds of tubestock and a few larger nursery trees, pictures are lacking through this time but I did a repot early 2019 and removed the tap root and a good proportion of the big ugly roots. I also went through the 'pruning it far too often' phase so it never had much of a chance to build vigour.
1 first prune.jpg

Fast forward to early 2020 and I had at least learnt to let it run a bit to gain strength and also to cut the top much harder and more often than the bottom.
DSC_0032.JPG

I was initially, and still am, attracted to this trees non fig like elegance. I have tried hard to keep this aesthetic but I feel I am starting to lose this battle. This is probably another phase I am passing through, let's call it the 'fighting a plants genetics' phase.

Here it is after its late autumn trim this year. I am still experimenting to find the right balance of keeping enough foliage through winter to keep the roots happy and not too much so that the top gets enough sunlight and airflow to avoid fungal diseases. At this point in time the lower branches aren't part of the future design but I did wire two of them, firstly just as practice but also just in case I decide to keep them later, at least they will start with some movement.
Dont use for virtual, too small.jpg

The only other tree I've bought that was remotely close to a bonsai was a really nice beech from PeterB when he moved back to the UK. It was growing well and I was loving the style I was starting to eek out with a few wiring sessions but sadly it didn't wake up in spring 2020. I know beech leaf out late so I left it until summer but by then it was obvious it had succumbed.

Over the first year I have had quite a few plants die from a mysterious wilting disease and I think the beech might've got it too. This mystery disease might be a post for another day. I have since learnt to sterilise my tools between every tree and I've had no new trees die from this disease for the last 18months. Since then I have really focussed on improving my horticultural care and have forced myself not to buy any good trees until I am confident of keeping them alive. I feel I am at that point now, so over the next year I'll buy a few better trees and start to practice more advanced styling techniques.

Whilst I've been waiting for my trees to grow, I've been learning as much as I can about bonsai. The last 18months I have been more and more focussed on the intricacies of design and display, which has naturally lead to me becoming obsessed with ceramics. The next post will feature a few virtual repots and my beginner thoughts of what works or doesn't. I have also been dabbling in making my own pots as a way to better understand and learn about ceramics. I will post about my pottery adventures in due course, again, once I feel I actually have something worthy to add.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life's too short for boring pots
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Re: Ficus Rubiginosa 2018-

Post by SquatJar »

Over the last 6 months I've really enjoyed looking at pot selection posts, trying to analyse the combination and then comparing my thoughts to those of the author and other commentators. My favourites who do these posts semi regularly are Jonas Dupuich of Bonsai Tonight, Brian Van Fleet of Nebari Bonsai and Peter Warren who has posted a few videos on Youtube. My efforts here and most definitely my sample tree, are not intended to be anywhere near the standard of these guys, who have years of experience on me, but I am hoping it might raise some discussion and I am always open to learning from others.

The following pots were all bought without an intended tree, but I think a few could work with the fig. The actual repot will take place once night time temps increase in spring.

The first repot is a wood fired rectangle by Tracey Francis
FiRu1 TF1 Virtual.jpg
FiRu1 TF1 Virtual Sacrifices removed.jpg
FiRu1 TF1 Virtual Branch1 removed.jpg
FiRu1 TF1 Virtual Branch1+2 removed.jpg
FiRu1 TF2 Virtual Branch1+2 removed.jpg
I am leaning more towards keeping branch 1 and 2, I feel they are starting to make sense and as the trunk inevitably thickens will help make a wider, lower canopy.

As for the pot, I wasn't expecting it to work as well as it does. It is quite sharply rectangular, which would normally preference a more masculine or angular styled tree. I think the subtle curves under the rim and on the inside of the feet helps here. The width and depth are near perfect, the colour isn't ideal but the yellow does play a little into the stipules, new leaves and petioles. I also prefer the light blue highlights of side 1 over the monochromatic side 2. I think the blue brings a feeling of cool, lushness to the glossy foliage, or maybe I'm just talking s*^t.

FiRu1 Alexa1 Virtual Branch1+2 removed.jpg
FiRu1 Alexa2 Virtual Branch1+2 removed.jpg
An early club house leader, the Alexa is quite a bit larger than the Murrumbung above but only looks a fraction larger once lined up with the tree. I think the visual weight is reduced by the inwards sloping walls and low height and recessed feet. The oval shape also matches the character of the tree better than a rectangle. The colour of this pot doesn't quite show as true in the photos, it is more of a light blue underglaze with chocolate brown drips. Side one also has some Namako like whites and blues in the brown drips that gives added interest. The colours seem to work as they're quite a natural palette and non-offensive. I might be imagining things again but the blue seems to bring out a grey tinge to the trunk. Side 1 is my preferred side again.
FiRu1 Ichikawa Taishuu Virtual Branch1+2 removed.jpg
A really nice ruri blue oval with heaps of patina from a Tokoname OG, but sadly its too shallow and looks like the tree is squashing it. Next.
FiRu1 Koyo 1 Virtual Branch1+2 removed.jpg
Colour tick, height tick, width... maybe a bit narrow. The sloping sides that helped the Alexa make this pot visually too small, even though it's pretty much the same volume as the current pot. I should expand on the colour a bit more, of all the pots so far, I think the Koyo oribe works the best. The green really highlights the darker glossier leaves, and the blue splashes add interest but once again maybe it evokes a sense of cool humid jungle air, maybe they bring out the grey of the bark. Side 2 is not shown as it is too similar.
FiRu1 Koyo Rect Virtual Branch1+2 removed.jpg
Another pot from the prolific Aiba Koyo, whilst almost the same dimension as the previous Koyo, this pot carries more visual weight. Thanks to the rectangle shape, darker colour and solid, partially glazed feet. The rectangle works as it has softening features, the corners are gently rounded, indented and the glaze is medium thickness. The biggest issue I have with this pairing is that the pot colour is far too close to the leaves. You want to bring attention to a certain characteristic of the tree by hinting at something similar or contrasting it. If it matches too closely you lose the focus in a sea of monotony. Compare the leaves between the two Koyo virtuals, the leaves look darker in the oval pot, even though it is the exact same image.
FiRu1 Sorce Virtual Branch1+2 removed.jpg
A really nice sand coloured rectangle from Sorce of Chicago, USA. For me though it's too small in all directions.
FiRu1 Syozan Virtual Branch1+2 removed.jpg
An unglazed oval from Ikko's father, this pot was mostly included as I had no other unglazed pots better sized. The oval shape works well and the red tinge of old Tokoname clay changes the look of the bark, if it was smaller it'd definitely be challenging for top spot. I have a feeling the red stipules would really pop against this clay colour. Maybe an option in 5 years once its grown a bit more.

At this point in time I think the fig will be going into the Alexa come spring. It has the added bonus of having a little extra room as this tree needs some vigorous growth for a few years yet before I try to slow it down for ramification. The runner up positions go to the Tracey Francis and the oval Koyo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life's too short for boring pots
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by juan73870 »

I agree with you. The Alexa sure does suit very well. Nice post 🙂
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Agree with all your conclusions... nicely thought out and expressed!
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Not what you decided on for the tree, but I love that Koyo oval pot :mrgreen:
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.

Return to “Ficus”