Max Jenkem
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Banksia, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 23

What Would You Do With Stock Like This?

Post by Max Jenkem »

Hi all,

I've got 2 or 3 Ficus stock like this where the main/center trunk has died out and have multiple suckers that have more or less even growth, I've been using them for cuttings but am wondering if there's a raft(?) like composition I could use them for? Haven't really been able to find many inspirational examples of this genera being used effectively in such a style.
I have a much larger one in a similar state of disrepair. What would you do with these multiple trunk specimens?
Untitled230_20211118195227.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sydney
NSW
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: What Would You Do With Stock Like This?

Post by Watto »

I see a clump style hidden in there. If it were mine I would reduce the height by about two thirds initially. This will give a clear indication if the clump style would be successful and will also make the plant much easier to manage. In Sydney you could do this now and any time up to the end of December.
That would be stage one done and further decisions can be made after that.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Max Jenkem
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Max Jenkem »

Thanks Watto, that's a solid idea rather than just continually snipping them for boringly straight cuttings. Might have to carve some of the dead middle trunks out to give them a more convincing base though
Sydney
NSW
Max Jenkem
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Max Jenkem »

Had a go at doing this one with the young bloke this arvo. Will probably cut some of the crossing branches off once it recovers, still not sure of a front yet, or if it even should have one. Gave it the ugliest pot I own
20211120_155448.jpg
20211120_155502.jpg
20211120_155431.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sydney
NSW
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

:imo: looks like it is on the road. Now the first step in done its just a waiting game to see how it looks in a couple of months but I feel confident it will be looking good under your care.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Ficus”