Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Working on Grevillea's - What's your experience

Post by dansai »

Hey All,

I recently got this Grevillea from from Big UU. There was a bunch out the front of the store and I thought I'ld give it a go.
Grevillea1.jpg
There doesn't seem to be a lot of info around on using Grevillea for Bonsai and about the best tidbit I've found is this
Grevillea wrote:Where I have left wire on some grevilleas for too long and the branch has grown around the wire, the branch seems to rot at that point rather than scar over and heal. I have noticed this on G. diminuta and G. poorinda 'Marion'. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Ruth
There was one reply confirming this experience and a post on another thread suggesting that not all species/cultivars respond the same way.

When I purchased a couple of Grevillea's from a nursery recently I talked to the Nurseryman about cutting them back and he suggested they don't like to be cut back too hard. Because of the mass of foliage with a good trunk shape I did cut them both back fairly hard (although I tried to hold myself back and left plenty of foliage on branches that I kept). One labelled Grevillea semperflorens carked it over about a month slowly losing leaves and newer shoots drying up. (Maybe over watering :?: ) The other labeled Grevillea Bon Accord (G. johnsonii x G. wilsonii) is still going fine. (Pretty sure I cut off less from this plant)

The one above has an interesting lower trunk and so I have removed over half the foliage but left a lot more on than I would have done if not for my past experience.
Grevillea2.jpg
Not the best picture. I'll get another showing the base another day.

So, has anyone had much experience with Grevillea's? Any tips? Has anyone found the cutting back hard thing to be a problem? The only other Grevillea I have had was a Robyn Gordon and I recall it being fine with being cut hard, but carked it in some hot dry weather.

As a side note, when doing a search on Grevillea semperflorens I found there is an interesting history behind this plant. It's not actually a species as I assumed from the label, so should really be written Grevillea x semperflorens. It is the first recorded Grevillea Hybrid and was developed by Miss F. E. Briggs of Plymouth, England in 1926 or 1927. It was also mentioned as not being available in Australia by Wriggley and Fagg in 1989. It is a cross between Grevillea thelemanniana and Grevillea juniperina subspecies sulphur. I might head back to the nursery I got it and see if they have another, although I will be more careful with how I treat it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Working on Grevillea's - What's your experience

Post by shibui »

We had a great presentation on Grevillea as bonsai at the last Australian Plants as Bonsai seminar in Canberra. Ruth has some really great small bonsai from a number of species and varieties and probably the most experience with these plants in Aust.
Not sure whether she would have time to offer help but could be worth trying to contact her through Canberra Bonsai society?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Thanks Shibui, I missed Ruth's presentation. I think was doing Grants workshop on Podocarpus. I think Ruth goes by the handle Gevillea on here. Maybe she will see this post and chime in. :fc:

I just found this response from Roger to another post
Roger wrote: I've not tried this cultivar, but I can say that it is probably worth the try. Friends of mine are experimenting with a wide variety of grevilleas with great success.

The strong points are that the ones they have used bud back readily on old wood, but not necessarily on really old wood. A regular pruning regime keeps the branchlet regeneration well under control. The stems are best shaped while young as they can become brittle with age. Flowering is relatively easily achieved, even within fairly strict pruning regimes and can both stunning and long lasting. A natural 'ground covering' cultivar is ideal for cascade styles, or can be first turned up to give it a trunk that rises high, allowing the cascade to descend 'above' the pot so to speak - all a matter of your inspiration.
Some good info there.
Last edited by dansai on June 15th, 2014, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

Grevillea robusta, silky oak is the only grevillea that grows for me. I have tried many cultivars , all to no avail. :lost: I look forward to hearing Ruth's success stories learning the secrets to her success :tu:
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

While Ruth has a number of very fine Grevilleas, I have to warn that all mine have died. I can't work out what I am doing wrong, but they fade slowly within a year or two, and inevitably cark it. Mix, timing, watering don't seem to be the problem as other genuses are thriving. It's not even severe cutting, as some went before I touched them. It's got me tossed.

Best of luck.

G
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by GavinG »

While Ruth has a number of very fine Grevilleas, I have to warn that all mine have died. I can't work out what I am doing wrong, but they fade slowly within a year or two, and inevitably cark it. Mix, timing, watering don't seem to be the problem as other genuses are thriving. It's not even severe cutting, as some went before I touched them. It's got me tossed.

Best of luck.

G
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Like Graham, I have had no luck either.
they just slowly deteriorate in pots :-(

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by GavinG »

Who's Graham? Have I morphed into an accountant?

G(avin)

Return to “Grevillea”