bonsaifreak07
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: elm
Bonsai Age: 1

Grevillea "Canberra Gem" Help

Post by bonsaifreak07 »

Hey everyone,
I recently acquired a grevillea "Canberra gem" and cannot find much info on its pruning and repotting requirements. Thought its roots were rather interesting so I'm looking to get in there and sort out the nebari. So does anyone have any ideas on how much pruning it can take and whether i can repot it now (perhaps bareroot?) and if so, how much of the roots can i remove?
Cheers, Bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bonsaifreak07 on September 23rd, 2014, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Grevillea "Canberra Gem" Help

Post by dansai »

Hi Bonsaifreak,

I asked some questions about Grevilleas in general lately and although some people have had success it seems most on here struggle to keep them alive. At the time I had 2, 1 I pruned back very hard and the other half hard. I didn't work on the roots. The one I pruned back hard carked it within 2 weeks and the other carked it in about 6 weeks. Both were fine leaved like yours.

I was told by the nursery man not to cut back too hard as Grevilleas don't like it. He may have been right. In the meantime I have got another larger leaved Grevillea that I have only lightly cut back and it has been growing well since. I also have kept a 'Robyn Gordon' alive for about 3 years and I have some young plants that I have done root pruning to and not much to the top and they have survived.

So my advice, go lightly on top and roots and don't be upset if it curls its toes up and dies on you. Or, plant it in the ground and get another plant to Bonsai.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

To copy an earlier post of mine...

With reference to Koreshoff's Aus Natives book.

Pot in open mix.
Required acid conditions.
Deteriorate quickly if kept constantly moist.
Prefer sunny position.
Short cuttings with heels late summer/winter.
Sow seed in spring.

Finer folaiged rosmarinfolia are more suited to the upright styles.

You can also cut the leaves in half or so to make smaller more manageable leaves.

More here: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=16014&start=0&hilit=rosmarinifolia
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

I've managed to kill all twenty Grevilleas I've tried, another grower in Canberra grows them very well. I noticed that all her trees are elevated, separated and have good air circulation around them - mine are all jumbled together on the ground when they are growing on. It seems that they are very vulnerable to anything like damp, mouldy, poorly drained or overcrowded conditions.

Best of luck,

Gavin
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Thanks Gavin.
Keep the experience / anecdotes coming people.
I've started to compile a wiki page to document it...
Cheers,
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
bonsaifreak07
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: elm
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by bonsaifreak07 »

Thanks guys for your input. Looks like I'll have to go easy on him then. :fc:
GreenThumb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Figs, Elms
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by GreenThumb »

GavinG wrote:I've managed to kill all twenty Grevilleas I've tried, another grower in Canberra grows them very well. I noticed that all her trees are elevated, separated and have good air circulation around them - mine are all jumbled together on the ground when they are growing on. It seems that they are very vulnerable to anything like damp, mouldy, poorly drained or overcrowded conditions.

Best of luck,

Gavin
Absolutely my experience. I had a lovely 2m Grevillea that brought honeyeaters to the garden when it flowered, but we had a really wet spring about four years ago and that was all it took to tap out and die on us.

Return to “Grevillea”