Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Lepto Mesmereyes

Post by Daluke »

Happy easter!

My knowledge of leptos is lacking.

I was fortunate enough to pick up an old lepto some time back. The tree is very healthy and I’m hoping to slowly transition it into a bonsai.

It’s been in a pot for 2+ years.

It needs major root work and branch removal.

It’s autumn.

My question is when can I do either safely.

Thanks
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Lepto Mesmereyes

Post by GavinG »

I have a large and old ME which I cut down very gradually, similarly with the roots. I went a little hard one year, and it sulked horribly for eight months.

I only ever work it in spring when it is growing well. I wouldn't feel confident now, particularly as the cold is not far off. With most Leptos, a water bath after solid root work helps.

I kept it in a water bath over the heat of summer this year and it grew like a mad thing! I'm a bit paranoid about Leptos drying out, they have zero tolerance. I tried for a sparse open bare look this year, and the damn thing just went crazy - I'll just have to keep taking it back until it gets some lightness to it.

When they get some serious age and thickness they can be very fine indeed. Please post photos.

Gavin
Last edited by GavinG on April 23rd, 2019, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Lepto Mesmereyes

Post by shibui »

I would also be reluctant to do anything major with roots at this time of year down here risk of cold before it can recover properly.
I have not worked with Mesmer Eyes but have played with some of the other related pink flowered hybrids and have not encountered any reluctance after root pruning in late spring. I also echo Gavin's comments re water post root pruning. I've been using a shallow water bath for many species that have been root pruned in warm weather last summer and all have responded extra well.

Branch removal can be done any time of year. Branch reduction can also be done any time. Budding may be a little slower in winter but most of my natives are currently enjoying an autumn growth spurt so should respond quickly to any pruning.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Leptospermum”