Leptospermum Petersonii "Lemon Scented Tea Tree"

Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Leptospermum Petersonii "Lemon Scented Tea Tree"

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

I showed this planting last year in the Aussie Day thread. The trees were purchased as very sick nursery stock – basically just sticks with hardly any leaves at all. Originally purchased 3 but one did not make it. :(
After gradual root reduction & repotting in a deep pot with fresh potting mix – the remaining 2 trees responded well, throwing lots of fresh growth. This is when I took the first pic shown below.

In way of training, I have been letting growth go unhindered & then stripping complete sections of foliage off to try & keep a wind battered coastal type of look.

This is a progression thread for Leptospermum Petersonii “Lemon Scented Tea Tree.”
(1) teatree 15-10-17.jpg
(2) teatree 11-03-18.jpg
(3) teatree 24-01-19.jpg
(4) teatree 22-04-19.jpg
(5) teatree 08-08-20.jpg
(6) teatree 08-08-20.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Leptospermum Petersonii "Lemon Scented Tea Tree"

Post by Ryceman3 »

Yeah nice. I like these trees, I only have a couple but they seem pretty resilient, pretty quick to develop and they smell fantastic when you trim them back. Interesting composition. I'm not sure which pic is your preferred front (assuming you have one!) ... for me the lean to the left is working nicely.
:beer:
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Ok so I am prompted to update this progression thread by Dansai's recent great post on Lepto Petersonii, who was previously prompted by R3's Natural competition update on Lepto Petersonii. That's a three-way prompt!

In regards to training, I'm still continuing stripping some areas of foliage and retaining the bare branches as undergrowth deadwood, as opposed to cutting the branches completely off.
Not a real clean look, but it is creating a nice "sticky" situation. It will be getting a trim very soon.
DSCF3084.jpg
DSCF3085.jpg
DSCF3086.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

forgive me---first impression after a couple glasses of red--I love the style ---not sure what could be done but the pads seem too separate and disconnected
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

tgward wrote: October 30th, 2021, 6:15 pm forgive me---first impression after a couple glasses of red--I love the style ---not sure what could be done
Please be more considerate! I think a big part of the problem is that I wasn’t invited over for a few drinks.
Winkie is only 14hrs drive from Newy.

A couple of glasses of “personality” & I turn into some genius bonsai styling ninja.
The following morning however....EEEK! Shock Horror! :o
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Like it a lot KCR ,the distressed look certainly suits our natives. Cheers John.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

I like the dead sticky branches a lot - very natural. I agree with tgward about the two dense masses being disconnected - would you consider opening each mass out quite a lot so there's space within them as well? I know, it goes against our "ramify everything" patterns of growing. It's a lovely composition, I like the angles.

Gavin
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Taking Gavin's advice & letting the foliage masses fill out together - to eventually make them less dense....together.
I'm not turning 72 anytime soon so who knows.. :shock: .....Happy Birthday G!
DSCF3208.JPG
DSCF3206.JPG
DSCF3204.JPG
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

That certainly does bring the two foliage masses closer, and there's lots of material there to select from. If it were mine (and yes, you can bring it down any time...) I'd open spaces in each foliage mass now so you get a feeling for how the branches are moving, and keep the two main masses talking to one another, as they are now. Tricky, but what the hell, we're old and disgraceful...

And thanks for the birthday wish - I wasted all morning with the damn doctors, which is what happens in your 70s... Coffee and cakes for lunch, chocolate for afternoon tea, beer later in the week - us old blokes work quite hard at it....

Gavin

Return to “Leptospermum”