Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Conversation on Leptospermum

Post by Pearcy001 »

GavinG wrote:
P1020784.jpg
My only mature Lepto, "Mesmer Eyes", bought as something big and reduced over a number of years. I strip leaves off branches to stop it getting too thick and blobby. Great bark, blue-grey leaves with scarlet new tips, and thickens quite quickly. You need to get trunk shape in early. The flowers, like a number of Leptos, can be large and gaudy.
Loving the wild look of the Master Eyes Gavin!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Rory wrote: March 21st, 2021, 9:02 am And make sure you trunk chop low early on. Some Leptos are really good at back budding, while others are a bit more prone to die-back. So choose your material well and try to keep as much branching on the material down low as possible, because inevitably as you develop the stock, you'll change your mind on the direction and wish you'd kept certain branches below etc etc.
@Rory and @Gavin, would be keen you hear your opinions/experience on how well L. rotundifolium back buds. I assume with all Leptos that you should leave some green behind when trunk chopping?
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

terryb wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 1:04 pm
Rory wrote: March 21st, 2021, 9:02 am And make sure you trunk chop low early on. Some Leptos are really good at back budding, while others are a bit more prone to die-back. So choose your material well and try to keep as much branching on the material down low as possible, because inevitably as you develop the stock, you'll change your mind on the direction and wish you'd kept certain branches below etc etc.
@Rory and @Gavin, would be keen you hear your opinions/experience on how well L. rotundifolium back buds. I assume with all Leptos that you should leave some green behind when trunk chopping?
Gavin might know. My trials on this species were only on material 1 - 3 years old... so not old material. I would always leave green under the trunk chop if possible. As with all material I would only trunk chop if its very bushy and in excellent health, and in the strong-growing warmer months of late Spring.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

So many it is hard to remember without going for a look,
best developed are my
l. lanigerum
l. laevigatum
l. mesmer eyes
l. petersonii
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Still no damn photos...

I don't have experience with mature L. rotundifolium, and haven't really noticed back-budding after routine pruning back to the last few leaves. I assume most Leptos won't bud back reliably on old wood, and prune accordingly - occasionally there's a nice surprise, but nothing you can rely on systematically.

Rory, which Leptos back-bud reliably for you?

I'm wondering whether my "L. grandifolium" is actually a mislabelled L. lanigerum - certainly the grey-green leaf colour is right.

Generally, cut to interesting angles, and get rid of the boring bits. Wire early, if you must (but cutting gives crisper shapes). I believe, or suspect, that you can bend thicker branches a little easier in very hot weather - (around 38degC?) - it's worth giving it a try.

Gavin
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

GavinG wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 3:21 pm
Generally, cut to interesting angles, and get rid of the boring bits. Wire early, if you must (but cutting gives crisper shapes).
Yeah well said. I've not attempted to bend thick branches, meh.... I just cut them, and/or anchor them early. The growth you get from cutting branches is beautiful. You can usually tell the development from cutting to produce a more natural look as it .... just looks more natural.
GavinG wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 3:21 pm
Rory, which Leptos back-bud reliably for you?

With all Leptos, they need to be cut in the strong growing months, which for me I find is usually at the start through to late Spring, depending on the Lepto.

Disclaimer: You will not get backbudding on a Lepto if you trunk chop and remove root at the same time... thats when you get 'die-backbudding' ..... hahaha :palm:

Leptospermum flavescens cardwell, will back-bud directly at the point of the chop like clockwork. Its really hardy and grows like a weed... I always got mine to easily back-bud after a trunk chop, to the point that it would produce so much excess growth I would be continually trimming it.

Leptospermum scoparium 'pink cascade' usually backbuds very well.

Leptospermum brachyandrum is hit and miss. Sometimes it would backbud really well, and other times it would back bud further down low but not directly at the point of the chop :palm:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi Gavin,

I saw on one website L grandifolium listed as a (variant?) of L lanigerum.

Re back budding; it seems to be a 50/50 deal and you never know which will bud back. Rorys’ advice on not cutting both roots and foliage at the same time is wise. In fact you need to stamp out completely doing both at the same time.

Cheers,

Grant
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Grant: What, no Wholesale Mayhem?!?! MY LIFE IS RUiNED!!!

Would you cut the top back hard say four weeks after root work, when you see new growth? I want to get a full season's thickening each year.

Gavin
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi Gavin, I did a light trim just 2 or 3 weeks after a heavy root prune; but I would not do a heavy prune for about 6 months, depending on time if year, vigour etc.

If you pot now you could cut back hard in about December or January.

Grant
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

Grant Bowie wrote:If you pot now you could cut back hard in about December or January.

Grant
Are you still happy to repot Leptos this time of year? I was considering it with my L.laevigatum but then decided against it in Melbourne. I'd need to remove 40-50% of the roots to fit it into the new pot.

Cheers,
Pearcy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

I’m about done now with repotting Leptos till November or so.

Best to delay now for best results,

Cheers,

Grant
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

A few contributions from North East Vic.

I only have one Lepto actually in a bonsai pot. i am still not sure of the species. Seed was collected along the Great Ocean rd near Port Campbell because the plants had compact growth. They have turned out to flower profusely with white flowers in spring at the right time for local flower shows. Cuts from plants in the garden inevitably win a prize so it has become known locally as 'Neil's winner'
It can bud on older wood but usually only if the entire plant is cut back at once.
IMGP2504.JPG
Someone else mentioned L. grandifolium. This species grows along creeks in my area so I have grown a few. My plants bud reliably on bare wood if the whole plant is pruned hard. Responds well to trimming and tolerates root pruning.
IMGP2507.JPG
Like many wide spread species L. grandifolium has slight differences in different areas. This clone from Mt Buller area is sold in nurseries because it has
blue green leaves and more compact growth habit. This one has not grown as fast as my local form.
IMGP2508.JPG
note those lower branches have died from lack of light, a common thing in many natives and especially leptos.

It has already been noted that some leptospermums are reluctant to bud on bare wood but a few do it really well.
This was grown from seed collected at Smoky Cape on NSW coast. Trees were growing in cracks in a huge slab of rock so they were small and twisted. Initially the seedlings were a little frost tender and I thought they had died during the first winter but spring saw new shoots all over the trunks. either they have adjusted to cold or we have not had weather quite so cold because they now seem to survive winter with just a little browning of leaves.
It has been identified by Roger Hnatiuk as L. petersonii even though it does not have the characteristic lemon scent in the leaves.
IMGP2505.JPG
These bud reliably after pruning. Sometimes produces lots of unwanted suckers from the base of the trunk. May be more tolerant of low light than some others.
IMGP2506.JPG
Really good trunk shapes and bark. Responds well to trimming and root pruning.
I recommend this species, especially for those where winters are milder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Some more of my experimental Leptospermums.

L. rotundifolium:
I have found this to be a frustrating species. It has lovely flowers and nice small leaves but trunks thicken very slowly and controlling shoots is difficult.
L. rotundifolium also has different forms available. The most common form seems to be 'Lavender Queen'
IMGP2509.JPG
IMGP2510.JPG
Seems to suffer from dieback in low light and lower branches often die for me. Some individuals have been slow to recover from root pruning.
L. rotundifolium 'Julie Anne' is a much smaller, low growing form but seems to be quite weak. This one takes ages to recover from root pruning and pruning. The specimen here is around 10 years and I would not bother trying again with this form.
IMGP2518.JPG
A few years ago Bywong nursery at Bungendore NSW released a number of new cultivars and hybrids with L. specatbile as a parent. These have showy pink flowers with a green centre. L. 'aphodite' is one that I have trialed for bonsai.
IMGP2511.JPG
IMGP2512.JPG
It responds reasonably well to trimming but does not always bud on bare wood. Suffers from dieback of shaded areas so lower branches are usually weak. No problem with root pruning.
This one has been cut hard recently to try to force new shoots closer to the trunk.
IMGP2519.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Just one more from me at this stage.
This is a Tassie selection of L. scoparium called 'Jim's Rocky Rambler'. It is normally completely prostrate. Young trunks can be wired vertically to get an upright trunk line like this one. Without assistance growth dives vertically down the side of the container.
IMGP2513.JPG
Really good weeping habit and reasonable growth rates. Quiet dense foliage if trimmed regularly. Root pruning has been OK so far. Definitely not tolerant of dry. These are always the first to die on the benches when the watering system plays up. I have not tried pruning to bare wood. very susceptible to webbing caterpillars. This is always the first to be attacked here.
Probably worth trying just for the weeping habit and really great if you would like to try cascade Leptospermum.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Are you selling any pots of Neil's winner? :)

Return to “Leptospermum”