Leptospermum Morrisonii "Burgundy"

legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Leptospermum Morrisonii "Burgundy"

Post by legoman_iac »

Just picked up two "Burgundy Tea Trees" (as I have the bug for Tea Trees now thanks to GavinG). Really like the colours! Though not seeing many references to theses as bonsai, wonder if there's a reason for that I'm oblivious to?

Pics below, am liking the trunks, figure I'll let them thicken up, then gradually start chopping back? Read that "cut and grow" works better than just wiring for Leptos?
burgundy_tea_tree.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Re: Leptospermum Morrisonii "Burgundy"

Post by Patmet »

I've got a couple of these in the ground as part of my garden, and also one I have been developing for bonsai. I'm planning on starting a thread for its progress soon.

The one's in the ground here flower prolifically and put on a nice display all year with the different colours of foliage and white flowers.

I've had good experience with my pot grown one so far it responds extremely well to hard pruning. I am yet to do much root work yet though, it really needs to be repotted this year.

Will be interested to see how you go with these. :tu:
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Leptospermum Morrisonii "Burgundy"

Post by GavinG »

Definitely not my fault...

It should grow well, they are good in the garden, but for bonsai you need to keep cutting them back to the last few leaves at least once a year, otherwise they grow lanky and empty very quickly - they don't seem to shoot back on old wood. Remember, every leaf you have now will end up bare wood in a year or two, so keep the growth as close in as you can. And have fun! Cut out all the boring bits!

Gavin

Return to “Leptospermum”