Wilsons Promontory National Park

Psymo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Wilsons Promontory National Park

Post by Psymo »

I'd been camping a few weeks ago with some friends at Wilsons Promontory in the tidal river camp grounds and came across this beauty in the middle of the park. On alot of the walking trails amazing speicems can be found. I had also spoted another tree that someone had posted on the forum but i failed to find the link to post as a reference, it was slanting on a rock face dangling over the river. Inspiring stuff 8-)
RIMG0218.jpg
RIMG0219.jpg
RIMG0220.jpg
RIMG0222.jpg
RIMG0221.jpg
RIMG0223.jpg
To see it had been keeped alive and not cleared must have amazed others, it was like a organic peice of play equipment for the children too. Apparently this was a base and training ground for the army in WW2.
Wow, how's that for native bonsai style? Informal/cascade/slanting/raft? Gets my imagination going :?:
Maybe at one stage this could have been two trees then fused together? I dunno.
The bark almost reminds me of a flakie version of the strangler fig crossed with some beautify craved peice of deadwood.
Hope you enjoy this as much as i did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Wilsons Promontory National Park

Post by Bretts »

It is very interesting. What sought of tree is it :oops:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Psymo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Psymo »

I couldn't exactly tell ya' but i'm sure it's some kind of tea tree.
Glenda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Swamp Cypress, Bouganvillea,
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Mackay Bonsai Club

Post by Glenda »

I've never been keen on some of the juniper bonsais I have seen that are twisted with huge amounts of shari etc. because I thought they looked contrived and artificial. After seeing this tree (although not a juniper) I am having second thoughts. Obviously this one is natural = no one has deliberatley styled it this way.

It is kinda interesting, isn't it? Would be a good tree to keep in mind for inspiration. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Psymo.

Glenda
"Knowledge is not a heavy thing to carry around" - JB Taylor (my father)
"The more you learn the more you earn" - JB Taylor
"There are exceptions to every rule, but to be an exception, you must first be exceptional" - Me

Return to “Leptospermum”