Incana, Lanceolata, Linariifolia, Rhaphiophylla, Styphelioides etc
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Melaleuca Linariifolia#1 [Ryceman3]

Post by Ryceman3 »

Well, it feels kind of early to be repotting natives but the wind around at the moment is causing too much grief for me to ignore. This tree has been knocked over more times than I care to remember in the last week or so causing it to have the potential apex broken off, and is also completely dried out and limp at the end of each day if I don't water it at least twice so it's safe to say I was coaxed (pushed) into action.
MLIN_01_0920_01.jpg
MLIN_01_0920_02.jpg
MLIN_01_0920_02B.jpg
MLIN_01_0920_02C.jpg
MLIN_01_0920_03.jpg
Think this should be happier for a while now, and less high maintenance.
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Melaleuca Linariifolia#1 [Ryceman3]

Post by melbrackstone »

They're certainly strong growers when they're happy, and clearly that one is VERY happy!
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Ryce.... that is looking fantastic mate. Really cool. :clap:

I find when the Moretons and Port Jackon figs start to push out new growth, its open season for repoting most natives.
The only natives I prefer to repot at the very start of spring / late winter.... is Lepto scoparium, and any of the natives that flower profusely at the end of winter for me.

But that Mel is looking really good. I hope you keep those shoots at the base. I love the style of it just like that so far. Where's the love emoji.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Looks like the sacrifice branch has done its job and the tree looks like a good candidate.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Thanks all for the comments. They are great trees and very rapid developers that thicken/grow pretty rapidly even in pots which is good.
Rory wrote: September 11th, 2020, 7:11 pm But that Mel is looking really good. I hope you keep those shoots at the base. I love the style of it just like that so far. Where's the love emoji.
Hi Rory, I’ll be keeping the shoots at the base at least for a while. One is being set up for the next sacrifice, but I might put a bit of movement into the base of it just in case so I can assess where to chop back once it has done its job. The other will stay and develop. :yes:
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Interesting post R3,looking very good well done. I might follow you and do a bit of repotting early. The sun seeking Mels have been getting pummeled lately . Wind has dried out two Pricklys , dropped all there foliage luckily new buds are popping. Others have been tossed around ,starting to think i may be doing more harm than good by having them in small pots . Keep up the posts ,always enjoy the updates. Cheers John.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

boom64 wrote: September 12th, 2020, 8:44 pm Others have been tossed around ,starting to think i may be doing more harm than good by having them in small pots . Keep up the posts ,always enjoy the updates. Cheers John.
I add river sand as a strong anchor for the root system. Apart from the benefits of excellent drainage... river sand weighs a tonne. I have never had to anchor or wire my trees into the pots in case they get blown out or yanked after a hungry possum attacks them. The river sand holds the root system in place like a vice. I use it on all my smaller shohin attempts. But in general, I find its the drying out in smaller pots that is dangerous too. I prefer deeper pots for this reason. The traditional shallow Japanese pots are often too shallow for Australian conditions. Otherwise on a windy sunny day, you'll need a heavier mix for Mels and Casys, but then in winter they suffer as a result. Its usually fine for Banksia, but not the usual suspects. For this reason, in my opinion I prefer the deeper pots with better drainage, which covers both winter and summer. :beer:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Plenty of development in this melaleuca over the last 3 months since the repot so I had a rest from the pines today and got out the branch cutter to get stuck into it. What I am looking for in terms of the basic structure is now fairly well set, I'll be moving onto the next phase of development from here. Both sacrifice branches remain (lower right and behind) which kind of make the silhouette a little murky, but hopefully you can see past them and get the concept.
MelLin-01_2.jpg
MelLin-01_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

An update on this melaleuca after a trim back today (and a small amount of wire).
I'll be letting it recover and then the next step will be to repot into a bonsai pot in a month or two.
MelLin_Spring IG_2.jpg
MelLin_Spring IG_1.jpg
Pat3222
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Pat3222 »

Looking good r3. When did you remove the sacrifice branches?
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Pat3222 wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 12:26 pm Looking good r3. When did you remove the sacrifice branches?
Roughly 6 weeks ago or so I think. I would’ve left it longer but to be honest it had gotten so big it was super top heavy and so the pot was toppling over all the time under even mild winds. I am OK with the girth anyway I think…
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Gave this tree a bit of attention before pine season diverts my attention elsewhere. Unfortunately no before shot ... but really it was just a big mop again as seen previously. Starting to get some more refined branching developing and I like the way the trunk is lightening up in colour and the "paperiness" is coming to the fore.
It'll transition to a proper pot in a few months I think.
MelLin 2 IG_1.jpg
MelLin 2 IG_2.jpg
MelLin 2 IG_3.jpg
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

That really is very nicely constructed, R3! I need to take notice of your process, since mine just looks like a trunk chop victim still.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

melbrackstone wrote: November 30th, 2021, 3:30 pm That really is very nicely constructed, R3! I need to take notice of your process, since mine just looks like a trunk chop victim still.
Thanks Mel, I was fortunate in many respects with this tree because the sacrifice branch was down quite low… meaning there was no real “trunk chop” as I would define it.
When the sacrifice comes from high up on the trunk (whether it be this tree or any species) there is always the risk the whole trunk thickens proportionately over time… meaning a trunk chop is then required both to reduce the size but also induce branching to create taper. That isn’t really problematic in itself, it just means more time is required to get the results you are seeking and so development will take a little longer. Hopefully that makes a small amount of sense!
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: None

Post by longd_au »

Lovely tree ..love the bark
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dennis