Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Western Australia

Potting mix pre made or self mixed

Post by Pickers84 »

Hi all,

I have a few Melaleuca Incana nana that aren't too happy. I'm wondering if the soil is the issue, I know they apparently love most soils but I think if they are in pots for bonsai purposes they may need something with a good pH balance. So I'm wondering what soils you gurus are using, pre made or self mixed and if self mixed what do you use?

Many thanks in advance
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Potting mix pre made or self mixed

Post by dansai »

There are many threads on potting mixes on the forum, and many different ideas about what is best. To give any helpful advice it would be great to know some more details relating to your question.

- How old are the trees?

- Are they in development or refinement?

- Are they in plastic nursery pots or ceramic bonsai pots?

- Do you feed your trees? If so, what and how often?

- When you say they don't look happy, what exactly do they look like? Pictures may help.

- What "soil" are they in? Please note, plants growing in pots shouldn't be grown in soil. Soil is what comes from the ground. Potting mixes are generally contain no soil and are made up of various components depending on the plants needs and what you are growing them for. Soil in pots tends to create many issues.

- Why do you think pH is the issue?

I can think of many more questions but this may be a good place to start
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Potting mix pre made or self mixed

Post by shibui »

The soil question is bound to bring up a whole host of different opinions and mixes. It always does and I guess that's because different things all work to some extent and different conditions and care programs require differing soil mixes. The best you are likely to get with this question is confused.

Dansai has already alluded to the possibility that the soil may not be the real issue. There are so many factors affecting how trees grow - water, fert, sun, climate, etc.
Talk to us about your care regime so far. Maybe someone can pick up something. Pictures are also great because we can often pick up factors you have not even considered from the photos.

Personally I have not had much success with Mel incana in pots even though they grow well in the garden here. The dwarf forms of many natives have generally been even less hardy than the full sized cousins and certainly so much slower to grow and develop.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Melaleuca”