Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Re: A tree for all zones and styles

Post by Neli »

Andrew Legg wrote:Neli,

Treasure the top of that tree and get it healthy. Good news is that if it's healthy it may well give you loads of new buds and branches. For me the problem with this tree is the length at constant taper. If you can get lots of low buds, reducing it's height may be an option to think about. Oh, and I'd remove the boolsheet for a bit while it is recovering. That's quite a load you've dumped on there! Also consider removing the wire until the plant is showing vibrance once more.

Cheerio,

Andrew
He he he! Andrew Darling Thanks...I am not sure it is bull sheet...but for sure 10 cow sheet... :lol: I am removing most of it ASAP! I removed the wires also yesterday.
Andrew I suspect my gardener was letting the water to run on top...and not go down...it was sliding over the bull's commodity.
Last edited by Neli on April 29th, 2013, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

I've re-read this thread carefully, but it's still possible I missed it, so please forgive me if this has already been answered. When is the best time to work on mels? I have some pretty significant bends to put into one and I'd love to do it now, but wondering if it's too hot as it's summer here. Thanks!
Cheers, Karl
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

lackhand wrote:I've re-read this thread carefully, but it's still possible I missed it, so please forgive me if this has already been answered. When is the best time to work on mels? I have some pretty significant bends to put into one and I'd love to do it now, but wondering if it's too hot as it's summer here. Thanks!
Hi ya mate, unfortunately for you you do not have the luxury, of up to 8 growing seasons in one year. We do have the calender for that but the trees tell us better.

Most of our trees have burst of growth according to the weather at the time like now it Western Australia. It has been in the low 20 Celsius beautiful sunshine.
That is the middle of the Calendar winter with little rain it becomes humid and our trees start to grow. I have re potted some, pruning and wiring can be done any time. As always watch the wire. However most of our work on them is done in the warmer months of our late spring/ summer in the warmer months.
so you should have no problems now.
This thread was written for Australian fans, but I am glad we have some others.

Cheers Pup

Ps our summers do get up to 46 Celsius
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

Pup, This opens another can of worms...He he he! It seems my weather is the same as yours. I have been asking, why my maples are budding and having new leafs, my celtis , and some other deciduous too.
I thought my trees are weird??? for doing it now and not in spring (august/september) My temps are around 20 now...can I start repotting?
Is that kind of growth bad for the trees, or it is OK? I mean no resting period?
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Neli wrote:Pup, This opens another can of worms...He he he! It seems my weather is the same as yours. I have been asking, why my maples are budding and having new leafs, my celtis , and some other deciduous too.
I thought my trees are weird??? for doing it now and not in spring (august/september) My temps are around 20 now...can I start repotting?
Is that kind of growth bad for the trees, or it is OK? I mean no resting period?
Hi ya Neli, as I said trees will tel you when, not the calendar, my suggestion is, as the temps are what the Northern Hemisphere growers experience in their repotting
programs I cannot se a problem.

However after care is as always the most important thing to remember, when doing it, no matter what time. I too have some exotics as we call all trees that are not native, doing the same thing even some conifers showing new growth.

I hope the helps to allay some fears.

Cheers Pup

Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

Pup, so far I have been digging yamadori, big ones, every month, and they have survived 99%. Even chopped from trees branches like 30cm diameter...just branches...and they are also growing...but people are telling me that that is wrong...: it will die! Now it is not the time! you need to wait for spring! But I just continued digging to see what will happen, and they just grew...so if they are growing then for me it is not wrong. At list now I know. But I shall be honest I have been scared to repot out of time...need to listen some time...so now that you have given me the go ahead I am going to start. Want to do lots of root work on trees in the ground, and reduce some trees in large pots.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop

Post by thoglette »

Neli wrote:but people are telling me that that is wrong...: it will die! Now it is not the time! you need to wait for spring!
Given where you are, most Mels will power on throughout winter, given a sunny position and water.

Your microclimate may vary! (I'm just starting to see colour on my maple leaves - where I am is substantially warmer than 500m either east or west)
Last edited by thoglette on July 5th, 2013, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

Darling, My mels are growing. The maples I bought 2 month ago...and they now 10cm branches with new leaf, since I brought them...so I am not sure if they need rest...if it is OK that they are growing...is it OK for them...Dont know.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

G'Day All,
I've loved paperbarks for the longest time (even before I came across Bonsai) - then I have dreamt of combining the two. It's exciting to know that this is an Ozzie forum! Finally some help that applies to us … I live in Port Hedland and we have lots of Paperbark growing in the riverbeds up here so, naturally this is all coming together for me.
Now for the bad news, I have managed to kill two Bonsai already and am worried that any new projects will go the same way! :shake:
So I'd like to ask, is there a list of things to do and when? Is there a "List for Dummies"? :crybye:

Pup, love your work - it's inspiring!

Merry Christmas all, see you in the next year!

Cheers
EZ
Cheers
Elmar
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Hi Ez.
When collecting Mels, Water is the key!

Lots of it and often. Sith them in a shallow tray and top water as well.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

kcpoole wrote:Hi Ez.
When collecting Mels, Water is the key!

Lots of it and often. Sith them in a shallow tray and top water as well.

Ken
:cool:

Thank you Ken,
would that also apply to those that appear to be in dry ground? In Hedland we don't get much rain so the riverbeds are dry 10+ month of the year … Happy to comply, but worried it'll be too much water…

Would I need to take some of the soil that they have grown up in and mx it in with my repotting soil (bought Bonsai soil)?

Cheers
EZ
Cheers
Elmar
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

So long as the soil is free draining then I would not.

When I collect i try to keep as much as the original soil around the root ball anyway top not disturb it, just add good mix tot he outside in the pot.

In the ground they will be able to get miosture as the roots will travel a long way, but when you cut them off in collection then they lose that advantage.
Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Hi ya EZ pot culture and natural growth are vastly different. Where you live is a wet season, and a dry season but the trees you speak of will have very long tap roots.

All bonsai need to be kept moist, I have miniature trees that sit over tray of water on top of which are placed gravel trays they sit there all year round the secret is humidity.
If you can create a humid atmosphere the trees will thrive.
Ken has already said the mix must be free draining, even swamp trees growing in pots should not be sat in water for too long.

Cheers Pup

Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Thank you Ken and Pup.

Looks like I will need to expedite my Display bench with a self-watering system! before I get too far ahead of myself, and any Bonsai I collect.

Merry Christmas to you all

Cheers
EZ
Cheers
Elmar
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

When is the right time to try to airlayer Mals? Is there a specific month/season or should I be looking for new growth ...
I don't have a specific species in mind - just want to have a go!

Cheers
EZ
By Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar

Return to “Melaleuca”