Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: None

ID Help and Advice required

Post by longd_au »

Hi

I think this is a Melaleuca. Can someone confirm and maybe help with identifying exactly which specie?

Meanwhile, I am wondering if it will back bud well?
I have been trying to thicken the trunk and has been growing in the ground for over 3 years untouched except for the first chop to get some lower branches.

It is now over 10cm wide in the base with 3 trunks which I plan to reduce to one. I am just not sure if they will back bud. To be safe, I also left 2-3 thin and weak lower branches as security.

Photos attached:
DSC_0413.JPG
DSC_0414.JPG
DSC_0416.JPG

Please advice.

Thanks,
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dennis
A journey full of experiments
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: ID Help and Advice required

Post by Ryceman3 »

Yep, it’s a melaleuca.
What kind is a bit of a stab in the dark but looking at the foliage/bark and taking into account you are from SE Aus I’ll stick Mel Armillaris out there as a possibility. Has it not flowered in the 3 years it grew? If so, and you have a pic of those that may help.
Mels in general are quite resilient and usually prepared to bud back fairly readily. Yours looks nice and healthy so I see no reason why it wouldn’t, sounds like you have some fun stuff planned! :yes:
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by longd_au »

Hi Ryceman

Thanks for the advice. I honestly can't say I have seen the flowers. It probably has but it has been kinda ignored and forgotten in the last 3 years.
I am glad they back bud well. They are definitely resilient as this one is grown in a very dry spot with little rain. The roots are probably quite deep but I will work on them while in the ground to prepare it for a pot.

Dennis
Dennis
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi Dennis,
The other option that comes to mind is possibly M.Ericifolia ... whatever it is try and leave some green below your chop as a safeguard, you don’t want to blow that ground growing with one slice!
If you haven’t already you really should check out this thread from Pup... it’s a nice detailed look at quite a few Mel species and how to deal with them. Well worth the read.
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=2091&start=75
Good luck!
Last edited by Ryceman3 on February 12th, 2019, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by longd_au »

Thanks Ryceman. I read almost every article posted here but will definitely read again. I lost a ground grown zelkova with one chop and will approach this one more carefully. The zelkova surprised me though.
Dennis
gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by gnichols »

Ryceman3 wrote:Hi Dennis,
The other option that comes to mind is possibly M.Ericifolia ... whatever it is try and leave some green below your chop as a safeguard, you don’t want to blow that ground growing with one slice!
If you haven’t already you really should check out this thread from Pup... it’s a nice detailed look at quite a few Mel species and how to deal with them. Well worth the read.
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=2091&start=75
Good luck!
Thanks for bumping this thread. Fascinating read and some truly beautiful trees.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Return to “Melaleuca”