Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Houdini two

Post by Pup »

This tree suddenly decided to go deciduous on me. Being a Melaleuca rhaphiophylla, that should not be. It missed water for 4 days probable cause.
It is now covered in new buds, just waiting for more sunshine. Which for some unknown reason we seem to be lacking this year.
Any way thought I would tidy it up a bit and loose wire as I had small buds to be careful get some dead twigs and watch for other dead bits to tidy up. Come spring it will get repotted. It is root bound. As I have been more concerned with other things. It missed it so that would have contributed to its problem. any way here are some pics.
IMG_4814.JPG
IMG_4817.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Houdini two

Post by Sno »

That trunk is amazing Pup . I hope every thing pulls through .
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Houdini two

Post by shibui »

I've noticed that root bound causes real trouble with watering properly and have lost a number of trees that way in the past. Autopsy shows the roots may be damp around the edges but bone dry towards the centre. Tree keeps drinking the water but there is less and less each time because the water cannot penetrate to the centre of the pot. I understand you have been otherwise occupied Pup but for others it does seem to pay to keep on top of repotting natives.
It is great to see that M. raph can survive drought by dropping leaves and resprouting when water is available. I've also seen that in other Mels here so if one of yours gets dry, don't give up hope. Soak dry pots, :fc: and hope you aren't too late.

Great to see you and some trees back on Ausbonsai Pup.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Melaleuca”