nguhy019
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black pine
Bonsai Age: 0

Check out this stunning Melaleuca!

Post by nguhy019 »

Hi all,

Found this one on a friend's property a few years back but came for a 2nd visit this week. It has loads of character and nice trunk progression IMO :) Thought I'd share it with everyone here. I don't have any bonsai and this will be my first if it all goes well.. currently researching what is needed to give it the best chance of survival as I want to be able to dig it up soon :tu:
69988240_694841404260379_938513541734858752_n.jpg
70858107_2491968477492750_6512379054597865472_n.jpg

Any thoughts regarding styling would be much appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Check out this stunning Melaleuca!

Post by MJL »

I’m with you. Nice tree - great find! A ripper - big but a ripper.

I think you’ve got the styling in your diagram ... perhaps compress over time such as this below.
4511E27E-291C-4DD0-B5C9-0DA9387D529F.jpeg
I am not a yamadori expert but someone here might be able to give advice on how best to get the plant out - giving it the best chance of survival.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Some Mel species transplant exceptionally easy. Other species do not seem to tolerate root reduction anywhere near as well. Some Mels backbud from bare wood really well while some other species I have tried refuse to bud on bare wood and just die when pruned hard.
Unfortunately for you, the ones that have proved difficult for me have all been dryland species and this looks like a dry area.
Probably best to see if you can identify this particular species before making further plans.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jiro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Can I like them all?
Bonsai Age: 18

Post by Jiro »

If you plan on collecting it play the long game. While the tree is probably fine where it is it isn't exactly 'strong' doing anything to the roots or foliage, working the tree, would probably severely damage or kill it. You could attempt to cultivate the roots around the tree by digging a trench and improving the soil around it. Add some sphagnum moss to retain moisture and apply some slow release native fertiliser and even some seaweed solution and you may well give yourself a chance at collecting it successfully. This might take one or two years but it is a good method when collecting trees.
nguhy019
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by nguhy019 »

Thanks guys. I think I will leave it for another year at the very least to give it the best chance of survival. Will try your suggestions as well as another one on the melaleuca thread about encouraging fine roots to grow.

Any thoughts regarding use of 100% saw dust for initial potting? Saw it on the Aussie Bonsai Bloke YouTube video for a native he had dug up..

Or any suggestions re initial soil prep? I was planning on going with what I had seen on gardening Australia..
nguhy019
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by nguhy019 »

MJL wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:04 pm I’m with you. Nice tree - great find! A ripper - big but a ripper.

I think you’ve got the styling in your diagram ... perhaps compress over time such as this below.

4511E27E-291C-4DD0-B5C9-0DA9387D529F.jpeg

I am not a yamadori expert but someone here might be able to give advice on how best to get the plant out - giving it the best chance of survival.
I'd feel bad to cut it shorter hahaha does look nicer though!
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

nguhy019 wrote: September 15th, 2019, 11:08 pm Thanks guys. I think I will leave it for another year at the very least to give it the best chance of survival. Will try your suggestions as well as another one on the melaleuca thread about encouraging fine roots to grow.

Any thoughts regarding use of 100% saw dust for initial potting? Saw it on the Aussie Bonsai Bloke YouTube video for a native he had dug up..

Or any suggestions re initial soil prep? I was planning on going with what I had seen on gardening Australia..
Do not experiment with potting mediums on collected trees. Use what you know and proved to work for YOU. Not what some random YouTube vid or TV show reckons is the ducks guts.
If you have not got the experience then leave it where it is till you do.
Sawdust as potting medium! On your tree try it, not going anywhere near mine thanks

Ps you did not say where it is? Unless on private land then you probably cannot collect without a permit

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey NG, a couple of points - I wasn’t recommending cutting it shorter ... rather, if you were able to successfully move it from its natural location and eventually settle it in a pot - once it has settled, you might be able to pull the top down somewhat to compress the tree. Not sure. Regardless - I’m certainly no expert, just an idea and best you listen to folk like KC and concentrate on how to prepare it for extraction.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
nguhy019
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by nguhy019 »

Yes KC it is on private property
I'll do more research on potting medium although I was going to try a mixture of diatomite, pine nuggets, cocopeat and perlite
Been reading a bit about mediums but should it be any different for native yamadori?
Will be leaving it for now though as there wouldn't be a point in removing it if it doesn't survive..
Jiro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jiro »

You can use any well draining soil mix you are comfortable with but I would keep it simple, diatomite and perlite would be suitable so too is straight pumice. I'm not sure about saw dust but it could work? I have found that when I've failed with collected material it was due to over watering rather than under watering and it is much harder to over water a free draining inorganic type mix. Also check out the black bag method, Mauro Stemburger swears by it.
Jiro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jiro »

Oh yeah, Aussie Bonsai Bloke has mentioned in his vids that he works at winery or something, I remember him sticking some dormant maple cuttings in a box with some damp saw dust and saying 'this is how we propagate cuttings at work'. So it may well be an industry method for cuttings but I wouldn't stick a collected plant in saw dust, seems far too risky. Go with something proven.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Dormant cuttings are stored in damp sawdust or sand until spring when they can be potted up, although the method is commonly used for scions taken in late autumn that will then be used for grafting in spring. Do not plant in straight sawdust.

As for the tree, it looks like the environment is very dry, although most of Australia is dry at the moment. It will probably not have much fine roots close to the trunk as they will lower down and further away to access moisture in the lower soil levels. If you were going to dig you could do as suggested and try improve the soil close to the trunk to get finer roots close in. If you do so you will need to water it regularly to ensure this is successful. That may not be possible if you don't visit regularly.

As to potting medium, your mix sounds good enough and should allow regular watering. Many growers have had success with watering multiple times a day with collected material when in a well drained mix.

That all being said, if you have not grown any bonsai before, then I would definitely not make this your first tree. There are other tress in better growing conditions or able to withstand digging more reliably that would make better subjects. Getting established plants may be a better way to start as they are used to pot life and should be easier to keep alive.

Yes this tree would make a great Bonsai, however there are a lot of horticulture that needs to be learned and understood before a successful dig of a tree like this would be achievable.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Agree with Dan. All good points. Unless yo can water it solidly every fortnight for maybe six months it is highly risky - it's support roots are all waaaaay down low in that dry environment.

Maybe test your techniques and timing on smaller stuff that doesn't matter, in the same area. You only get one chance at a tree of this quality.

Gavin
nguhy019
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by nguhy019 »

Thank you for the all the suggestions and guidance. It's hard not to get too excited and want to dig it up straight away but after the comments I will leave it for now.. I do live close by so can swing by regularly to encourage roots closer to the trunk.. this tree is quite unusual for the area. All the other Melaleucas are much larger than this and don't have as much character or any deadwood like this one does. I suspect it has struggled where it is so it makes sense the roots would be further out or down than that is ideal for yamadori..

Gavin - too right about having one chance at this tree.. thank you for your comment. It has really changed my mindset.. I'm a beginner with Bonsai so am still learning how to be more patient! :worship:

Return to “Melaleuca”