Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Melaleuca Claret Tops

Post by Watto »

I dug a new addition to the bonsai family today. It was dug from a garden and looks like a "garden shrub" at the moment but hopefully over the next few years it will develop into a bonsai.
When I agreed to dig this it looked smaller but my memory could be getting a bit shonky. It has some good movement but will need some pruning to bring it to a reasonable size for the trunk thickness. I do hope it buds back on old wood?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Re: Melaleuca Claret Tops

Post by Raging Bull »

I've got a full size melaleuca with a 25 cm diameter trunk in the backyard which I cut back to just the trunk and three stumps of big branches five weeks ago. Now it already has new growth everwhere. So don't worry about back-budding with it. The picture is ov the claret top without its top the day after its haircut.
Cheers, Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

It will back bud :fc:
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Thank you Raging Bull and Boics, you have made me very happy. This will get a rest for a year or more now but I will confidently plan ahead with your info. Cheers
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

They back bud profusely and they're one of the favs up here in SE Qld for bonsai. The toughest thing people find here is that the bulk up so quickly in the thin branching and you can end up with a hedge instead of a bonsai. The advice I've had is to constantly thin out the branches to stop it getting wider and taller, and keep it within the confines of your original design.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

What a beauty, Watto! I was surprised you were able to put it straight away in that pot (nice). Not that it is small, but it's surprising you could use it and still have enough soil rtound the roots. It must have a very kind, co-operating rootball.

Mel: thanks for the tips. I just acquired a Claret Tops babe and am looking forward to seeing it power ahead.

Lisa
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Raging Bull wrote: October 1st, 2019, 8:02 pm I've got a full size melaleuca with a 25 cm diameter trunk in the backyard which I cut back to just the trunk and three stumps of big branches five weeks ago. Now it already has new growth everwhere. So don't worry about back-budding with it. The picture is ov the claret top without its top the day after its haircut.
Cheers, Frank
Another few years Frank and you'll have that bad boy in a pot! :lol: I reckon I can see Shibui's tridents (I think I remember you're putting a young forest together) in the background there too. :yes:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

melbrackstone wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 8:36 am The toughest thing people find here is that the bulk up so quickly ...
Yeah, I see that in Raging Bull's post ... I think he let it get away from him just a touch! ;)
I like the tree Watto, nice to be able to start with something like this.
:yes:
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

melbrackstone wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 8:36 am They back bud profusely
:yes: ..can't stop 'em!
mct.jpg
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Thank you all for your kind words and information.
The tree didn't have much of a root ball (been too dry) and I have a theory that dug trees should be put into the smallest appropriate pot. The theory has been sound for my recent digs so I hope this one powers on.
There are a couple at the national collection currently that look great and when I got the opportunity to dig one I jumped at the idea. Apparently this was the only one "in the way" but there are a few more at that location so hopefully a couple more will get out of hand?

Return to “Melaleuca”