KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: THE MEL PROJECT

Post by KIRKY »

They are looking very strong. I’m sure they loved our humidity these last few weeks. Well done.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I spent some time this weekend potting up a few of these Mels to give them a bit of room to grow on. I gave them a decent prune of the roots b ut did not touch anything above the soil, pics illustrate the sort of cut back I did on them all. I have still have PLENTY left to play with if these don't make it ...
M Styph_01 0320.jpg
M Decus_01 0320.jpg
M Decus_02 0320.jpg
M Decus_03 0320.jpg
M Cutic_01 0320.jpg
M Ellip_01 0320.jpg
M Eric_01 0320.jpg
M Rhaph_01 0320.jpg
M Styph_02 0320.jpg
We'll see how they pan out - all in all 36 potted up (6 of each)
Mels 0320.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Incredible root mass on all those seedings. I don’t foresee any set backs in that lot they all look good. Well done :clap:
Cheers
Kirky
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

I have said it before but to re-enforce... surely the most productive rooftop in Melbourne. And the most well organised. You clearly have a deft-hand for seedlings - pine or other and indeed, for the bonsai you are creating in the [natural] competition or any else for that matter. :clap:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Thanks MJL, they're going OK too I think, as are the pines - probably should update that thread when I get around to it. Always stuff happening in this neck of the woods.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Just under 2 weeks since repotting some of the seedlings and there is already some nice growth happening which I am pleased about. The Stypheliodes and Rhaphiophylla especially have kicked on with noticeable growth. So much so that I decided to move them up onto the roof and into full sun this morning to see how that went.
M Styph_03 0320.jpg
No troubles with M. Styph, they didn't flinch but that was not the case with the M. Rhaph. After about 30mins, and despite being in a water tray they had noticably wilted ...
M Rhaph_02 0320.jpg
M Rhaph_02B 0320.jpg
I would have assumed given the M. Styph has broader/larger leaves it would be more susceptible to water loss/transpiration issues. Maybe it has developed a better root mass more quickly to cope... or maybe it's just more tolerant than M. Rhaph??
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

... and since I'm going on about Mels again, I will take a moment to say thanks to Pup, whose fantastic examples (and his posts in this forum) were a major reason I took an interest and got inspired to grow a few of my own. I bring this up now because I just noticed it is his birthday today ... so ...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY !
... and thanks for your great contribution to this forum over the years.
:yes: :beer:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Bit of extra time today, what with self isolation and social distancing leaving me with no mates, so I found a bit of time to pot up some more Mels.
Went a slightly different tack with this lot. I found a few species weren't particularly happy with my last efforts. M. Ericifolia and M. Elliptica in particular struggled a bit and there were a couple of casualties. The seedlings appeared to have dried out (despite being constantly wet and even misted occassionally) so, as much as for an experiment as anything else, I held back a little on the root reduction (not as extreme as last time) and I placed them back into trays full of water to take them from being constantly wet to completely sodden. Also have misted (and intend to do so sporadically). We'll see how this affects the success rate.
Another 36 potted up, all species included - but I did do a few extra of the M. Ericifolia given I lost a few of these in particular last time.
The M. Stypheliodes from the first repot on the other hand took the whole thing in their stride. Very noticable foliage growth/height and the roots are already appearing at the bottom of the pots. Happy enough with progress on average.
M Decus_04 0320.jpg
Mels -RP2_0320.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

About 2.5 months since the last lot of these mels were repotted. Probably the last bit of real bonsai activity I have bothered with as I have had other stuff on my plate that demanded attention but these little guys are happy enough and growing quite nicely. The M. Rhaphs and M. Styphs are probably the strongest of the lot. I have wired a few to get something happening in the trunks as they are beginning to thicken up. The ones at the back on the right would be over 30cms in height on average and there is fresh growth occurring despite moving into winter now.
Felt like a good time for an update since it is pretty much exactly 6 months since I planted the first seeds.
Mels_0620-01.jpg
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Thanks for the update. They are all looking good, that She Oak on the right must be on steroids! Looks like your daughter has a green thumb like her dad :tu2:
Cheers
Kirky
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

KIRKY wrote: June 7th, 2020, 3:54 pm ...that She Oak on the right must be on steroids! Looks like your daughter has a green thumb like her dad...
Hi Kirky,
I should probably clarify that the She Oak you refer to is actually about 6 or so still planted together, they haven't been thinned out to single pots yet! It does look pretty impressive though in the pic. My daughter does like watching them grow though, and she does a pretty good job of looking after them and even listens to advice when she needs it ... not bad for an 8 yr old! :tu:
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

They stop listening at about 12 so live it up :lol: :lol: it does look good perhaps a group planting.
Cheers
Kirky
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

An update for these seedlings since winter has pretty much finished and I am gearing up here for spring. You can see that there is fairly good growth on pretty much all species over winter, I am expecting growth to really explode now that the weather is turning. I have cut a few down to encourage the side shoots on some, wired a few others and there were some I just left to their own devices essentially. I'm hoping this gives me a bit of variety in the stock as it grows on. I would say some of these are now 500mm tall, although the "trunk" girth is still only about half that of a pencil say - so there is a way to go.
MelPro_ALL_0820_01.jpg
MelPro_ALL_0820_02.jpg
MelPro_ALL_0820_03.jpg
M-ERIC_0820_02A.jpg
M-ERIC_0820_02B.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Almost forgot these ones ...
These are the Mel seeds I sowed in mid Feb (so they are about 6 months old). Growing strong with roots out the bottom, they'll be needing their own pots soon. Will probably get around to that mid-late spring depending.
Also worth noting (for some) is there were two batches of Mel. Lanceolata, seeds collected in two unrelated spots (in fact, in different states ... Vic and SA). I have included some individual shots of each batch where you can see some slight differences in their appearance, just out of interest.
MelPro_ALL-0820-04.jpg
MLanc_0820-01.jpg
MLanc_0820-02.jpg
MLanc_0820-02B.jpg
For those playing along at home - the Sheoaks my daughter planted at the same time are looking good too. She separated a few out and potted them up a while back - you can see a few of those in the earlier shots I posted ... :yes:
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

You certainly have done well with those seeds and seedlings!

Return to “Melaleuca”