Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: THE MEL PROJECT

Post by Ryceman3 »

MJL wrote: December 20th, 2019, 1:23 pm
Ryceman3 wrote: December 20th, 2019, 12:13 pm
melbrackstone wrote: December 20th, 2019, 10:40 am So when are you going to set up your own nursery? :worship: :worship:
Ha! Thanks Mel... I could call it a backyard nursery I guess, but since I don’t actually have a backyard it’s probably not appropriate! I like to go big and then deal with the consequences later... :P
:yes:
Your own nursery ..... I think the modern vernacular would call it a roof-top pop-up. Add a few tasty beverages and you have yourself another business R3!
Roof top pop-up ... I like it.
I also have a BBQ up there so catering is possible, the fact there's probably a maximum capacity of 8 people (plus trees) might make it a bit limiting as far as functions and Xmas parties are concerned. Would need to extend onto the neighbours roof, I'm not confident that would go down all that well. :shake:
demps
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by demps »

Hey guys has anyone tried using M. Diosmatifolia?
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

demps wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 5:12 pm Hey guys has anyone tried using M. Diosmatifolia?
Hi demps,
Sorry, can't help you with M. Diosmatifolia ... it's not one that I don’t have any experience with and seems to be a species native to more Northern locations than Melbourne but I did have a look on Google and I see nothing to prohibit at least experimentation with it. It appeared to resemble M. Ericifolia to me, and when I looked further I found it was once known as M. Ericifolia var erubescens and then there was this (from Wiki) ...

"This species is relatively common in cultivation, usually as Melaleuca erubescens and is often used as a screening plant. It is hardy, growing successfully in a wide range of soils, including those that are poorly drained. It is easily cultivated from both seed and cuttings and can be pruned to keep a bushy shape."

All that says to me this may be worth a try as it sounds like it is quite hardy, happy to back bud etc.
Give it a shot!
demps
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by demps »

After seeing this project post Ryceman I got inspired to try a few different mels, so I went up to the local rainforest nursery and got a few of these diosmatifolias. They have such tiny “needle” like leaves and interesting branching from the base
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

demps wrote: December 24th, 2019, 7:38 am so I went up to the local rainforest nursery
Sounds like a pretty lovely way to spend some time... not a lot of rainforests down my way. Yep, I am envious. :mrgreen:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

A month since I noticed some miniscule shoots poking through the soil, there are now plenty of each Melaleuca I planted getting bigger by the day - at least 2 dozen of each species. Probably the best performer in terms of germination rate was the M. Cuticularis - there must be over 100 in that little pot! I'll let them grow on for another month or more until they are big enough to be separated out and get their own piece of dirt to develop in. There are roots already coming through the bottoms of a few pots so maybe even slightly earlier.
I also collected some M. Nesophila seed over the Xmas break so I'll be planting them in the next few days along with a few other ones that weren't included in the initial batch.
:beer:
MelSeeds_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Surely one of the most productive rooftop gardens in Melbourne!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Nice to see they are growing well for you. Some Mels that I started early last year have just had their second repot
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

terryb wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 11:38 am Nice to see they are growing well for you. Some Mels that I started early last year have just had their second repot
Cheers terryb, hopefully mine are just as prolific. How hard did you go on the roots initially with yours if you don't mind me asking?? I'm thinking to be reasonably tough while they are young and reap the rewards in the future??!?
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Ryceman3 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 1:09 pm How hard did you go on the roots initially with yours if you don't mind me asking?? I'm thinking to be reasonably tough while they are young and reap the rewards in the future??!?
Sounds like a sound plan. During the first repot I remove a portion of the taproot. How much depends on the lateral roots. If I have reasonable lateral root growth, I will snip right below them to encourage a single plane of growth, if they are weak, I will often leave a few more and deal with them on the next repot. If the lateral roots are really long because I was a bit slow in re-potting, these might get a snip as well so they grow neatly in the new pot. Treat them in the same way as your pine seedlings (not the seedling cuttings) and you should be right. The faster growing species will fill the new pots quickly.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I've cut mel seedling roots ruthlessly and the response is great. Mels strike easy as cuttings so there's no reason you could not make seedling cuttings like pines. I'd predict the response would be quicker and better than the pines but that's probably not even necessary a good root prune gives desirable results.
Many species seem to be very slow for the first year then they get up and go after that.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Over the recent summer holidays I went for many walks through local parks with my daughter. We stumbled across a group of Casuarina at one of these which she liked a lot and asked me about. I told her what they were and she said I should grow some. I said, “Ive got plenty but if you want some you’ll need some seed”... so we collected. And today we sowed a few. While I was there I decided to sow a few more Mels... and some Callitris. 4 of the 6 pots shown though contain Mels (hence this update):
Mel Lanceolata A
Mel Lanceolata B
Mel Nesophila (from seed I collected in January)
Mel Rhaphyiophylla ( Cos I had more seed and I like these!)
More Mels!
83D873D2-B6BB-4B5D-9F10-733BE0CBF1C8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quodlibet_ens
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by quodlibet_ens »

I really like this little set-up you have hear. So simple -- I was kinda sick of using the those seedling trays.

Do you thin out seedlings yourself, or wait for natural attrition?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

quodlibet_ens wrote: February 18th, 2020, 12:29 pm Do you thin out seedlings yourself, or wait for natural attrition?
No natural attrition yet I'm afraid ... I need to get these out, root pruned and in their own space pretty soon though!
Mel Seedlings 0220_01.jpg
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

That appears to be really good growth for mel seedlings over summer. Mine are a fair bit slower than that I'm afraid :oops:
I pot up seedlings at any time they and I are ready. Seedlings don't really seem to have a 'right' time.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Melaleuca”