Pruning advice (and more...)

Incana, Lanceolata, Linariifolia, Rhaphiophylla, Styphelioides etc
Adi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Pruning advice (and more...)

Post by Adi »

wave: I’m new to bonsai, and I got this melaleuca!

https://youtu.be/5v4E7OEsefo
(Couldn’t upload it here For some reasone so it’s on youtube.. )

I’m wondering how much and when I should Be pruning it.
I obviously want it smaller then it is right now, but if I cut a branch and leave no leafs will the branch die?
It’s the end of a hot summer now in Israel, should I be pruning now?
How much should I be watering it?
Does it need full sun?
The leaves in the edges are starting to turn yellow, what does that mean?

So many questions.....
Thank you for helping!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Pruning advice (and more...)

Post by shibui »

Ausbonsai only allows uploads less than 1Mb so you may have to compress or resize photos before loading.
Most melaleucas can sprout buds from old and bare wood but not all. Do you have a species name? Fine leaves could be M. ericifolia as it is a common nursery tree here but there are many other similar mels.
Pruning can be done any time of year. Obviously budding and regrowth will be quicker when the tree is active so spring and summer is a good time to prune. Many of my native trees were growing all winter so pruning in winter is also OK. If you prune when the tree is not active it will just sit and wait for the next growth phase then bud and grow.
Most mels love water. Many of them are from wet areas and streamsides. I have some sitting permanently in a tray of water and they love that but some species are adapted to dry regions and do not need that much water. Species dependent and will also depend on your soil mix and pot size but twice a day in summer is probably good.
Full sun is best for all the species I know but you must match that with adequate water. If you ca,' give enough water some shade will help the tree to cope but growth will be a little longer and more open (better than a dead tree)
yellow leaves can indicate lack of nutrient. Have you been feeding it? Yellow leaves can also indicate lack of sun, not enough water, getting pot bound or some other stress.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Adi »

:aussie: thank you!
I don’t know the specie Name but maybe you can tell me? I added some photos.

No, I did not feed it, and it’s in half shade and not watered twice a day.... I will put it on automatic irrigation in full sun. How moist should the soil be?
Are there any specifications about feeding? I have balls of plant nutrients for flowers. But I can buy something else. I also have some soil already with nutrients in it that worked great for vegetables, I can add some to the pot since it’s not full.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Welcome Adi and I hope you enjoy the site.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Melaleucas will tolerate short dry periods. Mine start to droop when they are dry so it is not too hard to tell when it needs water but it is probably better to keep it wetter rater than drier.
You can feed melaleuca any fertilizer for plants. They are not fussy and will take any nutrients you give them. Without knowing what your fertilizers are it is hard to say OK but I guess the flower one will be good. Need to be careful of vegetable soil. If it is like garden soil that's not good for trees in pots but if it as good potting mix type soil for pots it should be OK.
More on yellow leaves: Just be aware that the leaves of all evergreen trees do not live for ever. Most individual leaves stay healthy for 2 - 3 years then drop off but new leaves have grown to replace them so older leaves that turn yellow and die can be quite normal. Newer leaves at the ends of the branches turning yellow is not so good. I can't see any yellow in the pictures so I think the tree looks healthy.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Melaleuca”