Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Melaleuca irbyana

Post by Rory »

Progression thread: Melaleuca irbyana

By memory :lost: I purchased this from Cool Country Natives in Canberra when I went down to do a presentation on the Symposium for Native Plants at the ANBG in Canberra 2020. Although I might be wrong about where I purchased it from, as I had bought about 20 different varieties that day. (They have a massive variety of beautiful natives to grow and I highly recommend them) Although it may have been purchased from a native nursery up here on the coast if it wasn't Canberra, because I didn't keep a record of the purchases that day unfortunately.

I didn't take an initial photo, but it was just a very small seedling at the time.
It is very hardy and had no problems with a heavy root removal and cutting back.
It happily tolerates a heavier mix and will grow fast if given good levels of sun, although I still add washed river sand for drainage, just not as much so as to keep it with a higher level of water than other Mels I am growing.

My only tip is to not allow it to dry out. I had initially given it a slightly heavier mix - being that its natural habitat is a bit on the wetter side - and this proved beneficial as I once left it too long between waterings...but it thankfully bounced back.

You can watch an interesting video on it, as I hadn't realized it was critically endangered. I merely purchased it because I liked the look of it and the tiny foliage and weeping branches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu0aWwHW2aQ
M. irbyana 1-01 10Jan2022.jpg
10 Jan 2022
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Melaleuca irbyana

Post by Bougy Fan »

Hi Rory and Happy New Year. I have one of these - I bought it from a well known native proponent in the Redlands area. I had to modify my mix adding some 3-6mm prescion pine bark to keep the mix wetter. It is very vigorous and you are constantly cutting back shoots along the branches. I love the bark on it as it grows and sheds.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Melaleuca”