Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

M. Systena

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Hey everyone,

So I did a trip to APACE nursery in Fremantle WA yesterday and found some really cool melaleucas I have never heard of and, thought I’d share and see if anyone has used them before.

The stand out for me was the melaleuca systena. Real nice green and it has soft foliage like a wooly bush. It is a coastal Mel found in Western Australia. I assume it would be a more drought tolerant Mel and think perhaps it wouldn’t like being in a water tray? I’m unsure of growth speed or how old they live for.

I also found:
M. Thymoides
M. Viminea
M. Huegelii
M. Megacephala
M. cuticularis
M. Rhaphiophylla
M. Fulgens
Kunzea glabrescens

Fairly excited to experiment with some native west aussies!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mickey
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: M. Systena

Post by Ryceman3 »

Mickeyjaytee wrote: January 20th, 2023, 11:55 am … I assume it would be a more drought tolerant Mel and think perhaps it wouldn’t like being in a water tray?

I also found:
M. Huegelii
M. cuticularis
M. Rhaphiophylla
Wouldn’t be so sure on your assumption. Living in a pot is much different to living in the ground. My experience with almost all natives (including all mels I have tried) is they are thirsty. You take away the tap root when prepping them for a bonsai pot remember. They are not so efficient at managing water without it I have found.

I have tried the 3 varieties from your list, all have potential, especially the bottom two.
:beer:
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Thank Ryceman I’ll keep that in mind. I haven’t done any root work so I’ll try tomorrow. Perhaps I’ll put one in the water tray and keep a firm eye on the other and see how they go. Really nice foliage and I hope it survives the initial root work!
Mickey
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

Ryceman3 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:22 pm
Mickeyjaytee wrote: January 20th, 2023, 11:55 am … I assume it would be a more drought tolerant Mel and think perhaps it wouldn’t like being in a water tray?

I also found:
M. Huegelii
M. cuticularis
M. Rhaphiophylla
Wouldn’t be so sure on your assumption. Living in a pot is much different to living in the ground. My experience with almost all natives (including all mels I have tried) is they are thirsty. You take away the tap root when prepping them for a bonsai pot remember. They are not so efficient at managing water without it I have found.

I have tried the 3 varieties from your list, all have potential, especially the bottom two.
:beer:
I second this. I haven't tried all of this list, but my experience with Melaleucas and natives in general is in pot culture, once established they are very thirsty. Mel Cuticularis and Raphiophylla are both proven excellent bonsai species. There are many great examples from members within the Bonsai Society of Western Australia.
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Thanks Pat! I’ll keep that in mind. Interesting stuff seeing we have such dry summers. Excited for these melaleucas. Some really interesting trees. I’m going to come along to the next meeting of the bonsai association of wa and hopefully can make some friends, get some good advice and see some awesome native bonsai!

If you haven’t been to APACE I’d check it out if you get a chance when you’re up this way. Nice selection of plants and trees. The only problem I can see is that they were all very root bound.
Mickey
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

Mickeyjaytee wrote: January 21st, 2023, 1:42 pm Thanks Pat! I’ll keep that in mind. Interesting stuff seeing we have such dry summers. Excited for these melaleucas. Some really interesting trees. I’m going to come along to the next meeting of the bonsai association of wa and hopefully can make some friends, get some good advice and see some awesome native bonsai!

If you haven’t been to APACE I’d check it out if you get a chance when you’re up this way. Nice selection of plants and trees. The only problem I can see is that they were all very root bound.
That’s good to hear you’re going along. I highly recommend joining BSWA if you are serious about getting into bonsai and want to learn as fast as possible. They have many knowledgeable members that can answer your questions, and most importantly they have the best advice for growing bonsai in Perth with decades of experience specific to the area. I am a member of BSWA even though I don’t live in Perth. I come to the exhibitions and workshops when I can and it has been very worthwhile. Cheers I’ll keep that nursery in mind next time I’m up.
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Patmet wrote: January 21st, 2023, 7:14 pm
Mickeyjaytee wrote: January 21st, 2023, 1:42 pm Thanks Pat! I’ll keep that in mind. Interesting stuff seeing we have such dry summers. Excited for these melaleucas. Some really interesting trees. I’m going to come along to the next meeting of the bonsai association of wa and hopefully can make some friends, get some good advice and see some awesome native bonsai!

That’s good to hear you’re going along. I highly recommend joining BSWA if you are serious about getting into bonsai and want to learn as fast as possible. They have many knowledgeable members that can answer your questions, and most importantly they have the best advice for growing bonsai in Perth with decades of experience specific to the area. I am a member of BSWA even though I don’t live in Perth. I come to the exhibitions and workshops when I can and it has been very worthwhile. Cheers I’ll keep that nursery in mind next time I’m up.
Thanks Pat 😊 I’m looking forward to going along. I am information starved! Just look for the guy grilling information out of other members haha! Really looking forward to meeting like minded people and seeing some awesome bonsai! I’m definitely serious about bonsai!
Mickey

Return to “Melaleuca”