shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Melaleuca summer trim

Post by shibui »

I'm sure I've posted this Mel before but can't find it in this Melaleuca section so starting new thread here.

Earlier in spring it looked almost dead from dehydration so it is now back in regular summer quarters in a tray with 2-3 cm of water. Results of sitting in water appear to speak for themselves.
CH290653.JPG
CH290654.JPG
Discovered that something has been tearing bark off the base of the trunk???
CH290655.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Melaleuca summer trim

Post by TimS »

Nice work Neil, amazing the transformation from almost dead to the fully flushed out and verdant from the water bath

I wonder what on earth has been getting at the trunk though, that's not just bark but into the hardwood. Wouldn't have though possums would be interested in that. Any other furry friends getting about? Rats maybe?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Only bark deep but I can see the wood in one small spot.
We always have rats about even though most of us would prefer not to believe that so rat is possible though I've never had them chew melaleuca bark before and no signs of rodent teeth marks.
Few possums and no signs of tooth marks.
Wondered if it was black cockies looking for borer grubs. I've seen them do similar to full sized trees nearby but this is too small for them and no sign of borer or anything searching for one.
Possibly king parrot or rosella. They frequently chew on succulents and other stems but usually higher on the stems.
Some of the smaller birds use bark as nesting material - white brow scrub wrens regularly steal coir from hanging baskets and blackbirds rip up moss, etc from pots. Nesting should all be finished for this year but possible some are still looking to raise later batches and I would not put anything past the bloody blackbirds.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Maybe a bird as you say took a shine to it, then decided there were better options elsewhere and moved on

Ah well, bit of a natural feature now for the tree despite not being wanted necessarily
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

I have this kind of damage on some of my Mels but found that they are pretty good at closing up the wounds. I also see this happen on my deciduous trunks and exposed roots when the sap starts flowing in spring. I'm blaming the rats over the possums at this stage.

Return to “Melaleuca”