Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Melaleuca styphelioides seeds

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Hey all,

So over here in WA it’s impossible to find a melaleuca styphelioides and I’m quite keen to try them as bonsai annd also as a verge tree. I’ve bought seed before and every time I’ve had no success of germination. My first question is, is there a trick? I’ve tried everything I can find.

The second point is that I managed to find two down the road growing and nabbed a few branches for cuttings but, cuttings aren’t going to work if I do plant one onto the verge.

I picked some seed pods which, when I scrape them are still green so I hope the seeds haven’t dropped yet.

Does anyone know how to harvest the seeds? I have absolutely no idea.

Any help would be amazing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mickey
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Melaleuca styphelioides seeds

Post by Ryceman3 »

Mickeyjaytee wrote: September 26th, 2023, 8:09 pm I’ve bought seed before and every time I’ve had no success of germination. My first question is, is there a trick? I’ve tried everything I can find.
Don’t really think it’s a “trick” but the below link is from the Mel Thread I started a while back with pretty decent description of the “bog” method which worked great for me getting germination for M. stypheliodes along with all the others.
viewtopic.php?p=272164#p272164
Probably need to update this with new pics as things are developing.

In terms of harvesting seed, stick the pods in a paper bag and place them in a warm, dry spot. The pods will open and drop seed in the bag. That’s pretty much it.
:beer:
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Thanks so much Ryceman! I’ve never tried that method and yes, the seed is so fine. I’m guessing a lot of it is washing away. I’ll head on over to Bunnings tomorrow and get some vermiculite. I put the seed casings in a paper bag so fingers crossed I get some fresh seed.

Thanks again mate, I greatly appreciate your help!
Mickey
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Germination should be easy provided the seed does not dry out while germinating.

Bog method is good but any pot or tray that you can keep relatively damp will be OK. Use a fine potting mix or the very fine seed filters down too deep. Commercial seed raising mix is ideal. Just be aware that seed raising mix has no nutrients so you do need to fertilize regularly from soon after the tiny seedlings emerge.
Sow the seed reasonably thin. Because the seed is so small there's a tendency to put it on thick. Crowded seedlings are difficult to prick out and can encourage damping off and other problems.

Mel seed pods should stay on the tree for several years. The outer ones are younger and may not be ripe but the pods further down the branches will be a few years old and definitely ripe. Any pods that have turned dark brown will be worth trying though. Individual older pods can be pulled off the branches rather than cutting a whole branch to get them as bunches. The capsules in the picture look reasonably mature so I'd try those.
Pods contain both seed and packing which all falls out as the pods open. Hard to tell which is which but no problem. Sow it all because only the seeds germinate. There will be thousands of seeds in that bunch of seed capsules.
As mentioned, place pods in a paper bag and leave in a warmish place for a week or 2. Pods open as they dry to release seed in the bag.

:fc: good luck :fc:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Thanks as always Shibui. Yes, I used quite a fine soil for germination. Kind of a native mix which is sandy 🤦🏼‍♂️ I’ll make sure I get some proper soil today as well.

The seed pods I got from low down on the outside of the tree. Anything else is out of reach. I’m going to assume they’re both fully grown. Bloody magnificent trees! Disappointed they just aren’t sold over here. Rhaps/Cults/lanceleota are just everywhere in nurseries and grow all around where I live.

Guess we can’t have the best of both worlds 😝

Thanks so much for the help mate. I greatly appreciate it 👍🏼
Mickey
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Well just an update. Today I had heaps of little styphelioides pop their heads up. I’m stoked 😁 bog method worked a treat, thanks so much for the suggestion.

Now the question is, the best way to get fertiliser into them? They are quite tiny so I’ve been using a fine mist on the leaves of seasol. All my fertiliser seems way too big atm.

Lastly, when do you separate the seedlings?

So happy these guys came up. It’s one melaleuca you can’t find anywhere. I was successful with Kunzea ericoides too which is impossible to find also in WA. It’s been a good year for sowing 😀
Mickey
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Seedlings can be 'pricked out' into individual pots any time after germination but they start out pretty small so for practical purposes, prick out seedlings when they are large enough to handle. Mels can take weeks to months to get big enough to handle.
Any fert will do. Seasol has low and variable levels of macro nutrients so won't usually give much growth. Seasol has introduced 'Powerfeed' to overcome that problem. All the benefits of seaweed but with added nutrients to boost growth.
Fish emulsions, Charlie carp are also good liquid ferts.
Thrive and other soluble ferts are also great for small seedlings.
Any soluble fert needs to be applied every week or 2 as it also leaches quickly when watering.
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Awesome, thanks Shibui, you’re a champ. I have both power feed and Charlie carp. They are still in water trays though, do I leave them in them? I’ll give them a feed tomorrow and get them rocking and rolling 👍🏽
Mickey
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

No problem using liquid fert with water tray. Just empty the trays a couple of days after fertilising to go back to water only until the next feed.
Keep a good eye on the seedlings while they are in water trays. Bog is good for getting small seeds to germinate but is also good conditions for damping off after the seedlings emerge, especially if they are crowded. Direct sun is a good antifungal.
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Awesome, thanks mate. I’ll jump on that today. I’ll also make sure they get some more sunshine. Very excited
Mickey
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Well I went outside today to give them some liquid fertiliser aaaand the majority have been munched. Must of been slugs or snails? I don’t know how they got on them seeing they are surrounded by a moat of water.

I have a few left so I’m going to have to really baby them. Utterly devastated 😑
Mickey
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

You might find that they grow quite well from cuttings, if you're having problems with the seeds.

Gavin
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

GavinG wrote: October 19th, 2023, 1:54 am You might find that they grow quite well from cuttings, if you're having problems with the seeds.

Gavin
Thanks Gav, I did give it a try and lost all bar one 😑 I’m perhaps doing something wrong. While they were in shade we’ve had some spikes in weather up to 37 which isn’t normal so it could’ve just been that.

I guess another night time raid on the local tree is in order 😏
Mickey
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Yes, all cuttings are vulnerable until they get their roots going.. But if I can get some, anyone can!

Gavin
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Aw I’m trying. My success rate with these was appalling though. So far the remaining seeds are doing pretty good and are slowly coming along. Nursing them like a clucky hen 🐓

I’ll hold off raiding the tree for a few days. Couple of hot ones coming up 😑

Cheers mate
Mickey

Return to “Melaleuca”